Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitch squeal below 15 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has only has 900 miles on it. Today I noticed a squeal between 0-15 mph. Almost sounds exactly like squeaky breaks. But that’s not the case. It happens when accelerating and regenerating. But only below 15 mph. As soon as it hits 16mph it instantly stops. Then when decelerating using regen, it starts exactly at 15mph. This just started out of nowhere.

My car has only has 900 miles on it. Today I noticed a squeal between 0-15 mph. Almost sounds exactly like squeaky breaks. But that’s not the case. It happens when accelerating and regenerating. But only below 15 mph. As soon as it hits 16mph it instantly stops. Then when decelerating using regen, it starts exactly at 15mph. This just started out of nowhere.
Update: It seems to be some sort of electrical sound. I took a video and slowed it down and found out that the sound doesn’t go away at 15mph, but actually gets even higher to the point to where you can’t hear it.

So, is it louder than the pedestrian warning sound?
I wouldn’t necessarily call it loud, it’s just a super high frequency. And it’s not coming from the front of the car. It’s coming from the rear. I was actually able to capture a video of it. My father is 47, therefore he is completely unable to hear the noise. But I put the video in slow motion and he was able to then.

I believe I figured out the system that is causing the noise. Finally found this in another post.

VFD (variable frequency drive) sound is a very high-pitched squeal that is actually louder at low speeds than high speeds.