Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitched Whine Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 75D. When the speed reaches between 46 and 52 mph, there is a high pitched (and very annoying) whine very noticeable inside the car. The local facility had the car for a week last year and replaced the front motor. Said that the problem is 'common' and that is 'just the way it is'. I find this explanation just a bit hard to swallow as the loaner X didn't have this sound and I am not aware of others having the same issue. So this forum seems to be the place to ask if others have the same issue? Just as an add-on, the audio system is off and I don't believe that the sound is coming through it.

Yes, that's the way it is. Reduction gears often make noise, but not always, and it's hard to grind them so perfectly that they don't. Seems to be more common on the dual motor cars, and more common on the earlier ones.

Tesla may figure out some new engineering somewhere down the road, but many just feel it's cool to hear the "electric whine".

I guess one could try out several dozen cars to find one that doesn't whine noticeably, but good luck with that. I personally drive to get the car over the whine hump (<50) or to stay under it (Hardly ever). It's easier on you if you can just know what it is and live with it.

Just to clarify, this is not the electric car 'woosh' but rather a high pitched (3khz or so) that only occurs between 46 and 52 mph. If I didn't know better, I would have giessed that it was electrical interference thru the sound system. Also, the dual motor Model X that was the loaner didn't have the issue.

Just to clarify, this is not the electric car 'woosh' but rather a high pitched (3khz or so) that only occurs between 46 and 52 mph. If I didn't know better, I would have giessed that it was electrical interference thru the sound system. Also, the dual motor Model X that was the loaner didn't have the issue.

Hmm.. Mine also whines at that speed, but its the "normal" 75D acceleration high pitched almost airplane like noise. I like it now actually. I think what you are describing is different. I'd have it checked again. Can you post a video with audio of the noise? I freaked out when I first took delivery of my car in June because the 100D I drove was whisper quiet, but quickly learned that some whine and some dont.