Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Voltage Cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an idea of the amount of High Voltage cable used in a Tesla model S.

I typically see that the total length of wiring is 1-3 kilometers, but it is the high voltage cables I am more interested in. I am thinking the total length is relatively small?

Pre plaid it’s like 70 something feet
That sounds like a lot?
While I agree 70 ft sounds like a lot, part of this could get into how you define the length of cabling.

For example, if I have a typical 25 ft extension cord, which actually contains 3 separate leads. Do you quote that as 25 ft of cable? Or do you take the view that it is 75 ft of cable which is the perspective of what length of single strand wire I'd need to buy if I were to manufacture the extension myself.

It's this view of total length of individual strand of wire that is why some of the numbers you may see quoted for total length of automotive harnesses can seem to be really long.

Upvote 0
While I agree 70 ft sounds like a lot, part of this could get into how you define the length of cabling.

For example, if I have a typical 25 ft extension cord, which actually contains 3 separate leads. Do you quote that as 25 ft of cable? Or do you take the view that it is 75 ft of cable which is the perspective of what length of single strand wire I'd need to buy if I were to manufacture the extension myself.

It's this view of total length of individual strand of wire that is why some of the numbers you may see quoted for total length of automotive harnesses can seem to be really long.

That potential source of confusion is exactly why there's a distinction between "wire" and "cable." In your example, you have a 3-wire extension cord, which is a cable 25' long.

Upvote 0
I'd say the estimate of 75 feet may be a bit short actually. I mean if you think about it its not like an extension cord each cable only has 1 wire in it. so every run has to be made multiple times. So you got charge port to charger, charger to battery battery to each motor, battery to to DC-DC converter and perhaps another run I'm forgetting. Either way its a lot of copper if your trying to think of scrap metal prices on a totaled ride. but prob worth more on eBay as spare parts for rebuilds.

Upvote 0