Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland LR 18” to 19” rims posted range difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, the LR with 18” rims is showing 341 miles range, switching to 19” rims drops it to 305 miles, a 10% drop.

I’ve got a 5.5 year old model 3, I know Tesla plays some strange games. But does it make sense to have a 10% drop in range with this change? I recall others testing years ago, maybe 2% or 3% difference in real range drop on the original model.

I’m looking to order, if the difference is real, makes sense to get the 18” rims…..if it’s just another Tesla game, not real, I’ll go with 19”. Any details out there?

Yep I know it's always been different, and your rough 5% sounds more logical honestly. 10% sounds high to me.....identical car, just go to 19" rims? I recall them mentioning the highland range was improved, something like 8%.....I'm wondering if they did the full EPA test on the 18" rims and verified the higher range, but never did it on the 19" rims and, due to criticism they had in the past, they left the lower number in for 19" rims until they could verify with an official test?

10% is quite high,....if real, those photon rims are looking real good to me! :)

Hey folks, the LR with 18” rims is showing 341 miles range, switching to 19” rims drops it to 305 miles, a 10% drop.

I’ve got a 5.5 year old model 3, I know Tesla plays some strange games. But does it make sense to have a 10% drop in range with this change? I recall others testing years ago, maybe 2% or 3% difference in real range drop on the original model.

I’m looking to order, if the difference is real, makes sense to get the 18” rims…..if it’s just another Tesla game, not real, I’ll go with 19”. Any details out there?
I have done controlled testing with a 2022 Model 3 Performance around a 25 mile loop at a GPS measured average speed of 60 mph.

I have the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires now and those are 18% more efficient than the original 20” Uberturbine wheels and PZ4 tires.

It is entirely possible that the 19” wheels with summer tires are 10% less efficient than the 18” wheels with ultra efficient tires.

At slower speeds like the EPA tests at rolling resistance is a more significant factor. There tire compound affects efficiency tremendously. As speeds increase wind resistance becomes the only factor that matters.

IMG_2342.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2343.png
    IMG_2343.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2341.png
    IMG_2341.png
    437.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: gtg465x
Interesting data, thanks!

In theory I'm only interested in more range when I'm doing a long highway trip....stretch it out between superchargers. At highway speeds, should I assume very little difference, or do you think those photon wheel covers make a big difference?

Interesting data, thanks!

In theory I'm only interested in more range when I'm doing a long highway trip....stretch it out between superchargers. At highway speeds, should I assume very little difference, or do you think those photon wheel covers make a big difference?
I did controlled testing with the wheel covers and saw a 6% difference at 60 mph GPS measured average speed between Aero covers and no Aero covers on a 2022 Model 3 RWD.

IMG_5303.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5302.png
    IMG_5302.png
    254 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5283.png
    IMG_5283.png
    255 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: DingoStar and ODWms
I did controlled testing with the wheel covers and saw a 6% difference at 60 mph GPS measured average speed between Aero covers and no Aero covers on a 2022 Model 3 RWD.....

Never replied, but thanks so much for the info. 10% difference is definitely possible based on your data. On my 2018 Model 3 I went with the 19" rims, but the 18" rims have grown on me for sure, and I'm not willing to give up 10% range. Getting close to retirement, hope to drive this puppy across country.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I have done controlled testing with a 2022 Model 3 Performance around a 25 mile loop at a GPS measured average speed of 60 mph.

I have the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires now and those are 18% more efficient than the original 20” Uberturbine wheels and PZ4 tires.

It is entirely possible that the 19” wheels with summer tires are 10% less efficient than the 18” wheels with ultra efficient tires.

At slower speeds like the EPA tests at rolling resistance is a more significant factor. There tire compound affects efficiency tremendously. As speeds increase wind resistance becomes the only factor that matters.

This info is great! I would love to see you do this test using the 19" OEM rims/tires (or same tires that were on the 18" wheels) to see what difference you get on that test route (so I could compare to the OEM 18 results you got). I think I want to go to 18" also for more range.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd