Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland 318 vs 344miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I’m awaiting my Model 3 Highland delivery I have probably watched every video on YouTube regarding the car. One thing that I find really strange is that every video I’ve watched except one has said that the RWD has 318 mile range.

When you go to the Tesla website it defaults to show 318 miles and it’s only when you scroll down to the wheels that it says with the 18’ wheels you get 344 miles and with the 19’ wheels you get 318.

A couple of things that has been bugging me is why don’t they show 344 miles range on the website as default when that it the model that is selected by default? And why have I only seen one YouTuber that has quoted the 344 mile range?

Am I missing something? 😂

Tesla only official test with the 19" wheels so they have to quote that number and just give you guidance for the different wheel sizes. I don't really understand why they wouldn't go with the most efficient option.

Either way you won't get near those figures.

You are not. It is all WLTP - 344 on standard 18 and 318 on 19 wheels.

But here is the catch - I have not checked the EPA for highland (it is more accurate than the WLTP). However, the shock of your life will be when you get the car - charge it to 100% and that will show probably around 300-310miles. That is the EPA. And that is the base value for you to calculate total battery capacity etc., You can check this page:

And of course again the EPA is arbitary - in winter it can drop down to around 280miles but that is still good given that it is hard to drive 280miles without a break anyhow.

Reactions: SamWhu30
While I’m awaiting my Model 3 Highland delivery I have probably watched every video on YouTube regarding the car. One thing that I find really strange is that every video I’ve watched except one has said that the RWD has 318 mile range.

When you go to the Tesla website it defaults to show 318 miles and it’s only when you scroll down to the wheels that it says with the 18’ wheels you get 344 miles and with the 19’ wheels you get 318.

A couple of things that has been bugging me is why don’t they show 344 miles range on the website as default when that it the model that is selected by default? And why have I only seen one YouTuber that has quoted the 344 mile range?

The USA tesla website show EPA range. That's much more accurate, but remember that EPA, whilst more accurate, would assuming optimal driving conditions. Winter driving you can probably take 25% off the EPA figure and that'll roughly be your realistic range. Summer you can probably get close to EPA if you're sensible

Reactions: SamWhu30
It does seem optimistic to get 26 extra miles with 18” wheels?, when you look closely they say this is just estimated rather than WLTP

On USA site EPA is shown as 272 miles tested on 18” wheels, with 19” it only estimates 248 miles for RWD (I believe though EPA tests are a bit stricter from Jan ‘24)

It does seem optimistic to get 26 extra miles with 18” wheels?, when you look closely they say this is just estimated rather than WLTP

On USA site EPA is shown as 272 miles tested on 18” wheels, with 19” it only estimates 248 miles for RWD (I believe though EPA tests are a bit stricter from Jan ‘24)
Sounds about right really. Wheel size is a pretty significant arbiter of range. The M3P isn't is great deal different from the LR in many respects (driven within the same limits) but the wheels have a massive impact on real world range.

Are the figures for 18" wheels also impacted by the Aero covers? maybe?
I think they claim the covers give 3-5% extra although that’s from reading it a while ago from memory, the 344 will include that 5% I suppose although the new EPA figure of 272 miles with 18” wheels with aero covers seems more realistic, I assume that’s what it will show in the car, EU users are saying it shows 438km which is about right

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner

What does EPA show for LR on 19”?

I ordered 19” wheels but wonder if I should change to 18”.

My 20’s make a massive difference to range, that and wider tyres and heavier. But couldn’t give a toss about range, but was suprised at the difference

Same with ICE, although maybe not as dramatic.

I had a VW BlueMotion Golf. No special options, I enjoyed the challenge of hypermiling (country roads) to get 70 MPG, on a good day nearer to 80.

Replaced it, "like for like" (as I told the salesman). He put the widest (and, yeah, most expensive) Carlos Fandango wheels on it. I couldn't understand why the newer model would struggle to get 60 MPG - on same / familiar routes - until I twigged it of course.