Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

hit at parking lot- sentry video showed up once and disappear the next day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:mad:

We got hit while waiting inside our car at a parking lot!

We got the other car/driver information, and the car also popped up the video or us to see the impact at that moment.
But today, that clip is gone!!! Cannot find it anywhere in the drive!!!

Tesla dashcam is so confusing!!! There is no SAVE button!! We can Trash a clip, but you cannot save a clip proactively!!!
We are at the mercy of their stupid AI algorithm on which clip should be saved and which is not!!!

According to the usual manual (in theory), all accidents should be saved automatically by their very smart algorithm!
When there is a bug, or a mistake, there is no override we can do.... and there are no status that show us whether a clip is saved or not!!!

So unhappy now!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you were driving and or operating the car when it happened, then it isn't "Sentry" video, it's the dashcam video. That video gets recorded over when spaces requires. If you didn't tell the car to save that clip, it gets overwritten when you continue to drive. That's probably why it isn't there any more. True "sentry" clips don't get overwritten.

Reactions: GeoG
It’s not gone, it just moved. Tap the picture of the car in the lower left and it will bring up controls. Tap the camera to save. You can also use voice command or honk.

The new UI is not user friendly at all!! it is not intuitive!!!

The new designer prioritize design layout for cleanness over functionality!!

The old design is much more logical and intuitive. Heated seat control should be on default screen.
There are multiple times that the passenger heated seat remain on high level without any passenger.
I didn't know it was on because it is not on the default screen!!

Save button should be on dash cam app screen, not back to main control screen!!
And the driver profile should be on default screen too!! When both me and my wife get into the car, it doesn't know which one is the driver,
and I have to tap extra button just to check!! Annoying!!!

:mad:

One hour is really not enough - especially as the USB stick will fit a lot more. My "real" dashcam will store 2 hours at least

Personally I think it should just fill the data card before it starts overwriting. And if Sentry Mode needs some space, just overwrite the oldest. How hard could that possibly be?

(I've had dashcams for about 5 years now in my vehicles)

Reactions: laughMan
If you were driving and or operating the car when it happened, then it isn't "Sentry" video, it's the dashcam video. That video gets recorded over when spaces requires. If you didn't tell the car to save that clip, it gets overwritten when you continue to drive. That's probably why it isn't there any more. True "sentry" clips don't get overwritten.
it is not true anymore!
Our car was parked and my wife saw the clips once sitting in the car with the red dot knowing the impact. Yet it still got deleted by its AI logic!!
buggy is all i have to say!

We did, and it is not there 😭
Hopefully you've not used that USB to write more data since then

Chances are the video is still there if your drive isn't nearly full/at capacity.

Use photorec it is freeware and will look for media files that are "deleted". On flash memory, things aren't actually "deleted", but they are marked for overwriting. So until it's overwritten with other data, it's still there, just invisible to you.

As I mentioned, you can still save the dashcam from the screen or voice command. No need to honk.
Of course there are other ways but they are not intuitive in a stressful situation. Should I ever really need to save a clip I will wait just over 10 minutes and then pull the USB out so the video doesn't get overwritten.

Of course there are other ways but they are not intuitive in a stressful situation. Should I ever really need to save a clip I will wait just over 10 minutes and then pull the USB out so the video doesn't get overwritten.
I was just mentioning it since they said that they wished there was a silent form of input so they don’t have to use the horn. And it’s not ideal, but voice control is pretty easy and intuitive. Or use the save video option in controls. If you prefer to pull the usb, go for it. I don’t decide the features, I’m just explaining the available options.