Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding a charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model 3 hasn't been driven in 3 weeks. I did charge it to 71% and noticed a few days later (maybe 7-10) the charge was down to 58%. So I turned charging back on. Before I retired for the night, I checked to see if the charger was on, it was, so went to bed. This morning I checked the App and the charge was at 58% again. The charging was interrupted for some reason (you're never told why) so I restarted it after a couple of steps of unplugging etc. Its charging now. So I may be ignorant of why my Model 3 loses capacity after a few days. Anyone know why? Is this common? Suggestions?

Yes and yes.

A 1% loss per day is usually due to Sentry Mode running. There is an option to automatically turn off Sentry Mode when your car is at home; check that. Another thing which can cause loss like that is Cabin Overheat Protection. If you don't care about that, turn it off.

As far as the charging interruption goes, it can be due to a number of things: bad connections, bad equipment. It might take some more experimenting to figure out the true cause.

Our Model 3 hasn't been driven in 3 weeks. I did charge it to 71% and noticed a few days later (maybe 7-10) the charge was down to 58%. So I turned charging back on. Before I retired for the night, I checked to see if the charger was on, it was, so went to bed. This morning I checked the App and the charge was at 58% again. The charging was interrupted for some reason (you're never told why) so I restarted it after a couple of steps of unplugging etc. Its charging now. So I may be ignorant of why my Model 3 loses capacity after a few days. Anyone know why? Is this common? Suggestions?
I also wouldn't recommend letting the car sit around for 3 weeks. Go back to 2020 in the early stages of the Pandemic and see how many people were having issues with these cars when they sat around for weeks at a time.
7-10 days losing 13% isn't too bad if the car had woken up at all or had overheat protection on.