Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holding off payment until last minute - how long can you wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up car 3/26/24.

Pending: Plaid Payment (down payment).
Pending: Bring Check for Self-Arraigned Finance to delivery day.

Question: How long can I hold off prior to delivery day before sending payment? I want to hold off as long as possible in the event Monday morning 13-15% off is available and losing the $250 makes sense.

How long before delivery do they give you?

We didn't hand over the cashiers check until we had done a static inspection of the vehicle (couldn't drive it but could check exterior and interior cosmetics, lights, windows, etc).

Apparently the staff's helpfulness with pre purchase inspection varies by store. We picked the service center in Denver that we did based on great reviews about their unlocking the car and checking it it first policies. If another center gives you crap about wanting to check out your car first, remind them that other service centers definitely allow this...

Reactions: ATPMSD
Picking up car 3/26/24.

Pending: Plaid Payment (down payment).
Pending: Bring Check for Self-Arraigned Finance to delivery day.

Question: How long can I hold off prior to delivery day before sending payment? I want to hold off as long as possible in the event Monday morning 13-15% off is available and losing the $250 makes sense.

How long before delivery do they give you?
Is your Tesla sales friend "unofficially" telling you more discounts are coming?

Is your Tesla sales friend "unofficially" telling you more discounts are coming?
No, he says he isn't anywhere of any more, however, I want to know my options incase he was wrong and it drops more... I will lose my $250 and re-order no problem.

I just wanted to lock in my -10% off just incase. $250 is a small price to pay for price-lock.

Last edited:
I paid my down payment via Plaid after seeing the vehicle. I then authorized my credit union to pay the remaining balance once I took delivery. The credit union I used pays Tesla only after I take delivery. Never pay them ahead of time.

I did the same -- I told them that I'd bring a cashiers check. They were fine with that. I over paid by $90 = but they took the check anyway, and said they would refund the difference. I did have to wait for four or five weeks for it to arrive.