Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Travels With No I-5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing Youtube videos of long super charger lines at Madonna Inn. I'm about to do my first road trip in California. Can't you go from Santa Clarita to Kettleman City and from Kettleman City to San Jose on a SR+? Why do you even have to go through the Madonna Inn?

Sidenote, anyone think the I-5 will re-open by tonight?

Seeing Youtube videos of long super charger lines at Madonna Inn. I'm about to do my first road trip in California. Can't you go from Santa Clarita to Kettleman City and from Kettleman City to San Jose on a SR+? Why do you even have to go through the Madonna Inn?

Sidenote, anyone think the I-5 will re-open by tonight?

Santa Clarita to Kettleman city via SR 126 and US 101 is about 260 miles, so no, you’re definitely not making it on one charge in an SR+.

No idea on I-5 opening, but if it’s not, I’d highly recommend you rethink this trip. 101 is a MESS right now. Charging will be only one of your many challenges.

EDIT: 126 to SR 33 and back to I-5 is about 200 miles, which is still close, but you’ve got buttonwillow as a charging option if you need it. That’s probably the better call, but may still be quite the headache.

Last edited:
Isn't this all shown in the navigation interface? Just say where you are going and it will show you how to get there. If I-5 is shut it will show the next best way.

Of course, there was the time I was trying to leave LA and the Grapevine was closed so I went the San Bernadino way out only to be caught in the famous LA mudslides of a few years ago. That was an adventure.

It's always good to get a second opinion, but after almost 2 years I have long given up on checking Waze when I drive. Tesla is so Spot on, or if it is recommending I take a different way than Waze the difference in ETA is less than the 10 minutes I ask Tesla to re-route for, not worth my effort. All traffic accidents closing the freeway have been reported to me and driven around by NoA. Probably just been lucky, I do live near Fremont/Mountain View, probably the first place that gets corrected traffic.

Still, the workaround for the GrapeVine being closed is Santa Barbara or San Bernadino, by the time you are on the way the Nav software probably will just have you continue, as all other options could be WAY longer than just trudging on thru. Probably why Waze told me to hang out when I was just behind those cars washed away in the 2015 Hwy 58 mudslide instead of telling me to turn around. Even the cops kept thinking we could be moving in a little bit, then 9 hours passed, everyone was starving and peeing on the side of the road. But all the alternatives were SO LONG, all the Nav apps I had kept saying Go Straight. Even the news didn't know how bad it was until daylight.

gettyimages-493014914.jpg

By then I had started up 395 for hours out of the way. Looking back now I probably could have backtracked and taken 138 to 5, but Waze was no help. And no one remembers how to read a map anymore.

Last edited:
In other places, it was reported that Tesla's Nav DIDN'T route people around the closed I-5. One of the my reasons why I don't rely on it and still use Waze.

Incompleteness of information is hardly limited to the Tesla Nav. More generally, this illustrates the benefits of using more than one source of information to plan your trip routing. (Or the dangers of relying on a single source of information...take your pick...) I keep a paper map in the car too...it doesn't have real-time traffic information but it also won't break if I lose cellular coverage or my MCU dies or whatever.

I aborted a trip from NorCal to SoCal last Thursday when I learned, en route, that both my primary (CA-58) and alternate (I-5) routes were closed. I just turned around at Santa Nella (Gustine, whatever). Just pointing out that giving up and going home can be an option in some cases.

Bruce.