Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger for 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He did ask for me to find out what the best adapter would be for the tesla and he will put that recepticle in for me. I am thinking 6-50?

Personally I'd go NEMA 14-50. It won't make a difference in your house, but it will make a difference in the usefulness of the extra adapter you'll have to buy for your UMC when you go somewhere else -- the car is unfortunately only sold with a UMC with the NEMA 5-15 (120V household plug) adapter, so you'll have to get an adapter. If you get a 6-50 adapter chances are that it won't be very useful out of your home (especially if you're not electricity-minded).

If the extra cost of 14-50 wiring for your house is more than the cost of the 14-50 adapter for the UMC, I'd buy both the 6-50 and 14-50 adapters for the UMC and install 6-50 at home.

As a general rule of thumb, the current load should be 80% of the circuit breaker/wire
It's not just a good idea, or a rule of thumb, but a hard requirement of the NEC. EV charge current must be limited to 80% of circuit rating, no exceptions.

If the extra cost of 14-50 wiring for your house is more than the cost of the 14-50 adapter for the UMC, I'd buy both the 6-50 and 14-50 adapters for the UMC and install 6-50 at home.
This. The cost difference of just 50ft of wire is enough to fund an adapter purchase. I wouldn't worry about charging at RV parks; you're unlikely to ever need it. That's a vestige of the old, pre-supercharger world.

Reactions: Rocky_H