Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging miles per hour calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my previous M3 SR+, it showed the fast home charger was charging at 30 mi/hr at 32 amps. Why does my MX also do only 30 mi/hr even though it is charging at 48 amps?

p.s. my breaker is 60 amps and I can see its charging the MX at 48 amps as expected.

Measuring charging by miles per hour is not a great method. You are getting energy in the form of kWh at a certain rate (kW) into a battery that contains kWh. If you have a 90kWh battery and you are charging at 10kW it would take 9 hours, roughly.
To be able to calculate this in miles per hour, you need to know the consumption of your particular car in wh/mile. You would then divide your charging rate in kW (a kW in 1000W) by your consumption constant and would get miles per hour. As an example (as I don't know the constant for your car) 48A at 240V is around 11kW, or 11000W. Using a 300w/mile constant would yield a speed of 36.6 miles per hour. A 250wh/mile constant would show 44miles/hour.
As you can see this varies per car model, an X consumes more than a 3 typically. So the same power from your charger will show a different "miles per hour" rate depending on the car that's plugged into it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
With my previous M3 SR+, it showed the fast home charger was charging at 30 mi/hr at 32 amps. Why does my MX also do only 30 mi/hr even though it is charging at 48 amps?
p.s. my breaker is 60 amps and I can see its charging the MX at 48 amps as expected.
If you set the energy display to show % rather than distance, it will also change the charging rate display to kw, rather than mph. Which makes things much easier to understand.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
@Arifkh I like to give this analogy whenever people are questioning this charging miles per hour between different vehicles:

Let's say you're using a gas pump to fill two different vehicles. One is a tiny Ford Fiesta econobox car. The other is a huge Ford F-350. Will they fill at the same miles per hour rate? No, definitely not, because they consume that fuel at very different miles per gallon efficiency. So the smaller, more fuel efficient car is getting "miles" added faster because it can get more miles from each gallon fuel.

• Helpful
Reactions: GtiMart

My model X charges at 38 mph using a 60-amp breaker. (48 x 240 = 11,520 / 303 = 38) I like to think in "rated miles" rather than kws. However, when driving for the past two years, I'm using an average of 333 watts/mile.