Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Installation Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Hopefully one of you wonderful lot can help me out. I want to purchase an EV however my current supplier for Gas and Electric is on a pre-payment meter.

I was wondering if I can get a separate supplier hopefully Octopus for EV charging only. Is this technically possible? I assume this would require a separate meter and my house to have the compatibility to do this from the supply in the house. Will I also need to pay a separate daily charge if I went down this avenue?

Thanks for any help

It may be possible but I doubt it'd be worth it. You'd pay for a separate meter with separate standing charge etc.

Having lived in a house with two meters once it sucked.. even though it was never used we had to pay two standing charges and I was refused an account by at least one supplier that couldn't handle it. And that wasn't trying to juggle two suppliers on top.

It may be possible but I doubt it'd be worth it. You'd pay for a separate meter with separate standing charge etc.

Having lived in a house with two meters once it sucked.. even though it was never used we had to pay two standing charges and I was refused an account by at least one supplier that couldn't handle it. And that wasn't trying to juggle two suppliers on top.
Thanks for this info! I will look to switch to DD

Thanks for this info! I will look to switch to DD
If you are getting an EV what you really need is a smart meter so you can take advantage of time of day tariffs like Octopus Go intelligent where you pay 7.5p per kwh overnight. I don't know the reasons your property currently has a pre-payment meter but Energy companies are incentivised to install smart meters so normally they would be more than happy to install one for you all things being equal.
My energy company was faffing about fitting a smart meter for me so I switched to Octopus who got one installed very quickly. Most people find the Octopus tariffs best for EV's anyway so it was win win. Point I am making is if your supplier won't swap the meter then switching suppliers might be helpful?

P.S. if you aren't on Octopus and you want to switch I am sure many many on here would love to offer you a referral code to save yourself £50 ;)