Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

home charger keeps kicking off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The changes to my set Amperage in the car are more consequential, and the inability to see correct settings or set the values from the app is frustrating. Changing the app settings does unfortunately result in the car changing to incorrect app values. This is not rocket science. Tesla must not ever test any of their software changes, and there is no direct feedback from customers that is monitored. Unless the chosen few at Tesla see issues, they don't even realize that anything is wrong, until a vast number of customers bring their car into service. This is not a good way to implement ANY software.

If you read above you'll see the issues about charging that I was dealing with. Took it to the SC for them to check it out. They said everything was working. BUT one of the reps there asked me if I use any third party EV apps. I said I was but that I thought that could be the problem and deleted it (mentioned it in my first thread). He told me he has seen it happen twice where charging became an issue with "smart" 3rd party apps. Then he informed me that merely deleting from my phone was not enough that I had to go on Tesla and change my password! It all makes sense because this issue began when I switched the app from normal to "smart". The SC fully charged her so I'll confirm this in a few days. Could have saved a lot of angst had I known this sooner but I hope this is the problem and I help someone else out with this bit of info.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Good News-After returning from the SC I tried to charge my car and it kicked off twice in only a few minutes. Last night I tried after midnight and it charged fine. This morning I changed my Tesla PASSWORD and she is charging well now during the day. Lessons learned... Smart Chargers aren't that smart. It was the first thing I thought when this started happening but merely deleting the app from my phone was NOT enough. The app I was using, ev.energy, (when Smart was turned on) apparently treated all daylight hours as ONPeak hours when I was only charging during OffPeak hours.

I’ve had good luck with EV.energy. It keeps me from charging on peak.

I did have to setup my electric plan.

I do have to remember to set the “needed by” time.

It then takes care of the charging for me. But it will turn off charging after I plug in and wait for later. It will also start stop charging to fine tune the target time or allegedly work around grid peaks.

I do get burned every once in a while when I need a quick boost. I plug in, hit start charge in the car, then forget to hit boost in the EV.energy app. Come back later to nothing.

But I do feel like it’s kept me from charging on peak much better than I was doing before.

Good News-After returning from the SC I tried to charge my car and it kicked off twice in only a few minutes. Last night I tried after midnight and it charged fine. This morning I changed my Tesla PASSWORD and she is charging well now during the day. Lessons learned... Smart Chargers aren't that smart. It was the first thing I thought when this started happening but merely deleting the app from my phone was NOT enough. The app I was using, ev.energy, (when Smart was turned on) apparently treated all daylight hours as ONPeak hours when I was only charging during OffPeak hours.
I will need to try this! I've been having a similar issue with inconsistent charging. Sometimes it charges, and other times it keeps stopping every few minutes (2-20 minutes). On my tesla I get an error, but tesla rep tells me it has to do with the external charger. I used to use tissue or other smart app that I deleted, but ill try resetting my tesla password before I pay an electrician to see if something is wrong with my electrical hookup.