Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am officially six days into ownership so I apologize in advance for what are probably some really dumb questions but I can't seem to find the answer and I didn't ask my electrician... so, here goes...

I had the home Tesla charger installed today and it seems to always be "on". Meaning the green light is always on the charger but it's not the same as when it is charging.

Is this normal or is there an off button I am not seeing? If it is always on, does that mean it is constantly drawing current?

Lastly...my car is charging at a rate of about 56km per hour. Is that where it should be?

Reactions: LimoX
Struja, since you are still learning, you might wish to know. You did not have a charger installed yesterday. That was the cord, the connection to electrical power. The charger is mounted inside the car, not on the wall.

Thanks. I'm a total noob and admittedly don't know a lot about the car.

I just knew once I drove it, I had to have it!!!!

Just looked at the box...says "wall connector". Doh!!!! Lol

Reactions: Akikiki
Do yourself a favor. Invest some time reading through the different threads on this forum. They are wonderfully informative.
And when you get stuck, simply ask a question. People love talking Tesla. You will be amazed by their generous help.

Reactions: Jaff
I am officially six days into ownership so I apologize in advance for what are probably some really dumb questions but I can't seem to find the answer and I didn't ask my electrician... so, here goes...

I had the home Tesla charger installed today and it seems to always be "on". Meaning the green light is always on the charger but it's not the same as when it is charging.

Is this normal or is there an off button I am not seeing? If it is always on, does that mean it is constantly drawing current?

Lastly...my car is charging at a rate of about 56km per hour. Is that where it should be?

The Tesla charger is on 3 Phase 415v, 24Amp here in Sydney. The installer told me he wouldn't turn it right up to 30amps until we've used it for awhile. He said that a house here in Australia gets a 100amp feed. Noting our air-con unit, pool filtration system and greedy American built double fridge, he reckoned we could get too close to a 100amp draw, so turned it back a bit.

Still very happy with it charging at 75km p/hr.