Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Model X 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just placed my order for the Model X 75D and the OA said that the car comes with a charger and that I could do a HPWC with the 75D battery. Is this accurate? He blamed it on the battery. I would prefer to have a faster charging solution if possible.

Thanks for any help or recommendations!

1. The Universal Mobile Connector will come with the car (FREE). Max at 32A.
2. HPWC can do much better. You have to buy it. But if you don't order the 72A upgrade for your car, max is at 48A.
3. If you have 72A High Amperage Charger upgrade, so you can go 72A with the HPWC.

whats your reasoning for wanting the fastest possible?

is having a fully charged car by morning not good enough?(assuming it will charge about 8 hrs overnight)

most do a NEMA 14-50 outlet and that with the new cable will give you 32A

Reactions: KJD
whats your reasoning for wanting the fastest possible?

is having a fully charged car by morning not good enough?(assuming it will charge about 8 hrs overnight)

most do a NEMA 14-50 outlet and that with the new cable will give you 32A
My reasoning is more as a just in case I need to charge quickly at some point. In most cases the overnight charging is more than enough but was wondering why I could have and if the HPWC would make that much if a difference.

1. The Universal Mobile Connector will come with the car (FREE). Max at 32A.
2. HPWC can do much better. You have to buy it. But if you don't order the 72A upgrade for your car, max is at 48A.
3. If you have 72A High Amperage Charger upgrade, so you can go 72A with the HPWC.
What is the difference in charge time from the 32a, 48a and 72a?

i just placed my order for the Model X 75D and the OA said that the car comes with a charger and that I could do a HPWC with the 75D battery. Is this accurate? He blamed it on the battery. I would prefer to have a faster charging solution if possible.

Thanks for any help or recommendations!
Good to hear you got one. Did your OA end up finding you a good deal on an inventory model?

The 75 kWh battery cars come with 48A charger. There is no upgrade option to 72A any longer. It's not because of anything to do with the battery, it's just that Tesla has eliminated option of charger size to avoid confusion such as yours. You get what you get. If you order a 100 kWh battery car, it comes with 72A charger.

So if you install a HPWC, the fastest you would charge is 48A. If you plug in the Gen 2 UMC )that comes with the car) into a NEMA 14-50 outlet you will charge at 32A. As a practical matter you're likely going to charge overnight and it doesn't matter what time during the night the car finishes charging. If your travel pattern is such that you arrive home with an almost depleted battery and then leave for a long trip a few hours later, then charging at the full 48A with a HPWC may be helpful.

The only other reason to use HPWCs (well, two) are to share a circuit between two (or more) cars with two or more HPWCs, and to keep the UMC in the car. But people rarely need to charge in the home area, and then just put it in the car when they go on a long trip. If they are going to need it on a trip (need to charge at other than Superchargers, etc.), they will also perhaps need extension cords and adapters and can also put the UMC in the car at that time.

So, it's more a matter of convenience now, with the smaller charger on the non-100 cars,to get an HPWC instead of the UMC, than the quicker charging.

Using the 14-50 at 40A is plenty fast enough, (the new home chargers are 32A). I have never felt the need to charge at 48 or 72A. The Tesla battery is plenty big enough to use all day and charge at night. My cars rarely charge for more than 4 or 5 hours and are full. The only reason to buy a HPWC is to charge two or three Teslas in the same garage without popping the circuit breaker.

One other reason to have a WC (strictly speaking, they are not called "HPWC" anymore) is if you have to install it outdoors. I think the WC is a bit more rugged and safer to use on a daily basis outdoors than an outlet plus the mobile connector. In addition, the mobile connector and its cord will get wet, covered in snow/ice, etc., depending on where you live. If you can charge in a garage, the weather issue is moot.

Thank you all for the advise. Any downside to having a wall connector over the mobile connector? Reason I’m asking is the install cost for me is about exactly the same for either one and I am getting a $500 credit towards store with my purchase due to the referral promotion so that covers the cost of the Wall connector. Figure it can’t hurt having a faster charger if similar price. But maybe I’m missing something like cost to run or other possible reasons?

Thank you all for the advise. Any downside to having a wall connector over the mobile connector? Reason I’m asking is the install cost for me is about exactly the same for either one and I am getting a $500 credit towards store with my purchase due to the referral promotion so that covers the cost of the Wall connector. Figure it can’t hurt having a faster charger if similar price. But maybe I’m missing something like cost to run or other possible reasons?

Are you sure the installation cost for NEMA 14-50 and HPWC are about exactly the same? If they really are, I would go with the HPWC since you have that $500 anyway. Normally I think electrician charges quite a bit more on the HPWC installation.

We have a 2017 MS 75D and installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet in our garage and bought Tesla's corded mobile connector that we keep attached to the outlet all the time and keep the one that comes with our car in the car. We use Tesla's cable organizer to hold the hose and the charging handle. We're fine charging overnight, even set it lower than we need to for a slower charge. We liked the more minimal look of the outlet with plug (1-1/2 inches deep) over a mounted wall charger as our garage is a bit narrow with everything in it and a little bit easier to walk past. The lit portion of the mobile connector is 2 inches deep so pretty low profile against the wall. And we're not likely to hit our head or shoulder into it if we need to squeeze past it.

If your electrician has already given you your options for each and they are about the same cost, it's kind of a toss up. Even with the wall charger can you set it for a slower rate of charge, but it would allow you to increase the rate above what a 14-50 would give you at max allowable. Placement is a consideration, inside or outside. If outside do you care how visible it is and accessible to anyone. We installed our 14-50 indoor garage outlet close enough to our driveway that when we lower our garage door (we add two pieces of wood blocks on each side of the cable to make sure the cable isn't crimped), and we can charge indoors or outdoors which is nice if company would need a charge in the driveway. Plus we don't have to worry about the weather or keeping the electricty locked up.

Congrats on the new car!

Last edited:
Reactions: MidwestMX