Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit for 2017 Model X 75D Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I currently have a 2017 Model X 75D. I have a home charger, so I rarely use Supercharging network.
I would go on long-distance travel maybe once or twice a year, 500 to 700 miles.

Here are my questions.
1. Do you think I will need CCS combo?
2. By retrofitting to version 3 charging board. Are there any benefits in charging speed or rate at Tesla Supercharger even if I don't use CCS charging stations?
Please let me know your opinions!

Thank you.

CCS gives options that you might need. It’s good insurance.

My opinion is that with Tesla installing CCS on its Superchargers in Europe and Magic Docks on the Superchargers in North America, means that they have now depreciated the Tesla Connector. I would recommend getting the CCS upgrade now on expectation that future Superchargers may not have the Tesla Connector. Then when that happens you will already have it, and not have to get it when everyone else is clamoring for it at the same time, and the kit is out of stock.

CCS gives options that you might need. It’s good insurance.

My opinion is that with Tesla installing CCS on its Superchargers in Europe and Magic Docks on the Superchargers in North America, means that they have now depreciated the Tesla Connector. I would recommend getting the CCS upgrade now on expectation that future Superchargers may not have the Tesla Connector. Then when that happens you will already have it, and not have to get it when everyone else is clamoring for it at the same time, and the kit is out of stock.
I really doubt that Tesla will ever deprecate the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connecter. I did buy a CCS adapter, only because Electrify America and others often charge far less than Tesla, as long as you don't mind waiting.

Last edited:
By retrofitting to version 3 charging board. Are there any benefits in charging speed or rate at Tesla Supercharger even if I don't use CCS charging stations?
Answering this question, no, definitely not. It's not affecting anything about the battery's charging speed capability. It's just like your car could only speak one language before, and it's adding an extra language pack so it will be bilingual.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I just had the CCS upgrade done yesterday to my 2017 MS. No speed difference.

I like to road trip to Canada like Nova Scotia and out west. I think it’s worth it for expanding charging options. Since I get free supercharging, I’ll still lean towards the supercharger network though.

A good way to tell if it’s worth it to you is to check out the PlugShare app. Filter just the Tesla(fast) chargers and see if they are on routes you would take. Then do the same for CCS. But of course some CCS charge rates are slower like at hotels, so you may want to look at the details of some locations.

Can also use abetterrouteplanner.

I don’t see the NACS (Tesla) going away anytime soon. One thing is for sure, I really appreciate the sleek design of the NACS compared to CCS. My god CCS is clunky as hell. Elderly people would have a harder time managing the clunky CCS especially when cold.

Reactions: Ulmo
Here are my questions.
1. Do you think I will need CCS combo?
You only will NEED it if you are in a location that has CCS chargers, but no Supercharger. I would guess that is almost never. However many of the CCS chargers are much less expensive than Tesla.
2. By retrofitting to version 3 charging board. Are there any benefits in charging speed or rate at Tesla Supercharger even if I don't use CCS charging stations?
No. Charging speed is limited by the battery and other internal components. You will see no improvemt in the charging rate. If anything, the CCS chargers are typically slower than a Supercharger, despite their claims of 350 kw.

Reactions: Ulmo
I don’t see the NACS (Tesla) going away anytime soon. One thing is for sure, I really appreciate the sleek design of the NACS compared to CCS. My god CCS is clunky as hell. Elderly people would have a harder time managing the clunky CCS especially when cold.
Not only that, the NACS is far more capable, like up to 1,000 volts and 1,000 amps. Those megawatt speeds will be needed for the Semi.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
If you only go on a few trips it seems like an unnecessary expense. Especially given Tesla large Supercharger network. But to be sure you might want to enter a few trips you think you might take into the car and see if there are any areas where you don't have Superchargers. Or there are so few Superchargers that you end up stopping with very little range margin.

Also, Tesla is aggressively expanding the Supercharger network. Locally I have 6 locations within 20 miles and there is at least one other that is installed and waiting for the power company to connect.

Reactions: Ulmo and KC0427
Could you confirm if the CCS adapter is included with the upgrade? Service Center said $450, did not confirm if adapter is included.
Yes it is. People are actually having the opposite problem with that. Some people, let's say who had two Teslas, were proactive in getting an adapter a long time ago from one of the other grey market sources, so they have that. And now are trying to get a retrofit for their other car and can't get Tesla service to just do the upgrade that doesn't include the extra adapter they don't need.

Reactions: codeblue309
Yes it is. People are actually having the opposite problem with that. Some people, let's say who had two Teslas, were proactive in getting an adapter a long time ago from one of the other grey market sources, so they have that. And now are trying to get a retrofit for their other car and can't get Tesla service to just do the upgrade that doesn't include the extra adapter they don't need.
Thank you. Yeah Model X with its abysmal less than 200 miles battery (75D) and slow supercharger speeds, its a pain for road trips. Will the CCS capability get any better charging speeds when 250kW Supercharger are not in the vicinity?

Will the CCS capability get any better charging speeds when 250kW Supercharger are not in the vicinity?
No, it doesn't do anything for charging speeds. That is limited by the battery pack systems. All this CCS is doing is basically making your car bilingual so it can communicate two different languages to different types of chargers. The speed is still limited by the car.

Thank you. Yeah Model X with its abysmal less than 200 miles battery (75D) and slow supercharger speeds, its a pain for road trips. Will the CCS capability get any better charging speeds when 250kW Supercharger are not in the vicinity?
Nope. If anything the charge speeds will be slower. I found one site where a CCS 350 got me to just over 200, compared to a nearby Supercharger which was limited to 150. But a 250 Supercharger is always faster (in my experience)

Nope. If anything the charge speeds will be slower. I found one site where a CCS 350 got me to just over 200, compared to a nearby Supercharger which was limited to 150. But a 250 Supercharger is always faster (in my experience)
It’s going to depend on the car. An older car like mine (2017 S100D) isn’t charging at a rate higher that 150kW (on a good day). It doesn’t charge faster on a newer 250kW supercharger. It won’t charge faster on CCS.

I had an appt, but opted to cancel. I still have my chademo adapter that has never been used.

It’s going to depend on the car. An older car like mine (2017 S100D) isn’t charging at a rate higher that 150kW (on a good day). It doesn’t charge faster on a newer 250kW supercharger. It won’t charge faster on CCS.

I had an appt, but opted to cancel. I still have my chademo adapter that has never been used.
I just had it done on my 17 S. There are times when I go to the MI UP and CCS would help at copper harbor. CCS is in vastly more areas than Chaedemo. Therefore CCS is actually useful.

Last summer, CCS would have been useful to go to Gaspe QC because that supercharger is still sitting there not hooked up.

So it depends if one is going to drive outside of Tesla’s network. CCS in Canada is quite extensive. But I will use Tesla’s network whenever possible because I have FUSC and it’s reliable. I did see a couple people struggling with CCS.

After trying CCS and paying at the stall, etc, I appreciate Tesla’s network even more due to the simplicity of it.