Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

icejan

Jul 14, 2022
USA
Hello, I'm an existing owner in the US, but is in the process of moving to Japan. Initially I am looking to rent a house, and I want to know what options I have in getting level 2 charging installed. Here are a few questions:

Is there a complex process for getting a Wall Connector installed? What price point am I looking at (for and permit needed / electrician labor)?
Is it possible to just install something like a NEMA 14-50 like in the US? So that when I move in the future I don't have to figure out what to do with a Wall Connector
Is it typically possible to ask the landlord for such a request (Assuming I pay for the cost of course)?
How common is the 100v/200v outlet with switch in the exterior of a house (read this in another thread)? Would you guys recommend this over getting a dedicated level 2 solution?

Thank you!

Reactions: hiroshiy
Welcome to Japan! Answers below:

>Is there a complex process for getting a Wall Connector installed?

It depends. If you need a home charging, you'd better rent a detached house with a parking space. Then, you can negotiate with the owner. Typically, if you agree that the modification you will make will be un-modified (chargers and wires removed and the walls are in original condition) when you get out, it's easy.

>What price point am I looking at (for and permit needed / electrician labor)?

No permit is required if it's a detached house and a built-in parking lot. Find a licensed electrician. It usually costs $500-$1500 per installation.

>Is it possible to install something like a NEMA 14-50 like in the US?

Yes. The most powerful outlet in Japan is 200V 20A (16A continuous), so it gives you up to 3.2kW. It is called "Panasonic Consent" in the Japanese language.

>Is it typically possible to ask the landlord for such a request (Assuming I pay for the cost, of course)?

Yes, if it's a detached house with a built-in parking lot. There are two more cases.
1) If you rent a detached house, but you need to rent parking separately - in this case, you need to negotiate to wire your parking and meter electricity in some way. It is not very common.
2) If you rent a condo, the HOA (Home Owners Association) owns the parking lot. So you need to negotiate with the HOA, but it takes a lot of time, as HOA in Japan typically meets only once a year, and the construction of the parking lot needs to be approved by the HOA. My recommendation: choose a condo with a dedicated outlet or charging stations. Not very common yet.

>How common is the 100v/200v outlet with a switch in the exterior of a house (read this in another thread)?

Can you point me to the thread? I didn't understand. Some newer houses with built-in parking have a 200V outlet (=Panasonic Consent). Because it's wired to the panel in the house, charging electricity is metered with your house usage. Very convenient, but up to 3.2kW.

>Would you guys recommend this over getting a dedicated level 2 solution?

I recommend finding a relatively new house with an outdoor 200V outlet FOR CHARGING. Then, with a Tesla Mobile Connector, you can charge your Tesla.
# I found many outdoor 100V outlets but they sometimes have narrow wires and are unsuitable for charging (100V 12A continuous = 1.2kW).
If you need more charging speed, negotiate with the owner to modify:
- replace the electrical wire from the panel with the thicker one
- remove the outlet
- install the breaker and the Wall Connector
so that you can get higher charging speed and convenience.

Upvote 0
Some newer houses with built-in parking have a 200V outlet (=Panasonic Consent). Because it's wired to the panel in the house, charging electricity is metered with your house usage. Very convenient, but up to 3.2kW.

>Would you guys recommend this over getting a dedicated level 2 solution?

I recommend finding a relatively new house with an outdoor 200V outlet FOR CHARGING. Then, with a Tesla Mobile Connector, you can charge your Tesla.
Thank you so much for your help! I think if I can charge even just 3kw with a mobile connector it’ll suit my needs. About the 200volt outlet (I assume it’s common to have such an outlet and it’s always called “Panasonic consent”? I wasn’t able to find an image of what the plug actually look like, but if it’s similar to the other Japanese electrical outlets, how would I ground the mobile connector?
Thank you again

Reactions: hiroshiy
Upvote 0