Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We are looking at ordering a Model Y RWD in the next few weeks and I have been looking at home charging options.
I am wondering how much better the Gen3 wall connector is than the UMC on a single phase connection here in Australia?

Regardless of what we choose, an electrician would need to come out as there is no power point where we want the charger to be.
We have a solar system (non Tesla) that on a good day puts 3-4kW back into the grid at any given time so I would like to utilize that with something like Charge HQ.

The sticking point for me is how much quicker will the wall connector be than the UMC?
If utilizing the excess solar only, I would say no different (?) but what if I was to make the difference up by drawing from the grid?

how much quicker will the wall connector be than the UMC
A Wall Connector (WC) can never charge faster than a UMC when the electricity is single phase.

A WC is only faster than a UMC when the electricity is 3 phase. This is because the UMC is a single phase device only.

For single phase both WC and UMC can do 32A
32A x 230V = 7.3kW

A UMC will need aftermarket adapters to achieve charging currents greater than 15A (even though the unit itself is rated for 32A).

Note that a house with single phase electricity typically has a 40-63A service circuit breaker. This means the total current that can be supplied to the house is 40-63A. Therefore installing a 32A circuit for EV charging may not be possible depending on the existing electrical loads in the house

There are other typical circuits:
25A, 20A, 15A, 10A

Check with your electrician re installing a suitable EV charging circuit.

In order to fully absorb the solar production of 4kW you will need a circuit that can do 17A. This means the circuit will need to be 20A. Alternatively a 15A circuit can do 3.4kW.

In a single phase context a UMC is likely more versatile than a WC. This is because a UMC is portable. If you get the UMC you will be able to charge at home and on long trips. If you get the WC you can charge at home but will not have a UMC for travels (assuming that a UMC is actually needed for trips in your specific case).

Upvote 0
A Wall Connector (WC) can never charge faster than a UMC when the electricity is single phase.

A WC is only faster than a UMC when the electricity is 3 phase. This is because the UMC is a single phase device only.

For single phase both WC and UMC can do 32A
32A x 230V = 7.3kW

A UMC will need aftermarket adapters to achieve charging currents greater than 15A (even though the unit itself is rated for 32A).

Note that a house with single phase electricity typically has a 40-63A service circuit breaker. This means the total current that can be supplied to the house is 40-63A. Therefore installing a 32A circuit for EV charging may not be possible depending on the existing electrical loads in the house

There are other typical circuits:
25A, 20A, 15A, 10A

Check with your electrician re installing a suitable EV charging circuit.

In order to fully absorb the solar production of 4kW you will need a circuit that can do 17A. This means the circuit will need to be 20A. Alternatively a 15A circuit can do 3.4kW.

In a single phase context a UMC is likely more versatile than a WC. This is because a UMC is portable. If you get the UMC you will be able to charge at home and on long trips. If you get the WC you can charge at home but will not have a UMC for travels (assuming that a UMC is actually needed for trips in your specific case).
If you can find a version 1 UMC, it charges at 16 AMP three phase.

Upvote 0
Stick with hard wired WC for the connected is prone to no problems

The UMC using a plug and outlet can have problems with:
Gravity force on the outlet
Carbon buildup on the metal of the UMC and outlet metal

Cost is equivalent for
UMC will need an additional GFCI
WC has the GFCI built in

Upvote 0
All points above are valid, but the best solution comes down to money.

The UMC is the most versatile, but plugged into a standard home cuircuit would take the most of a day to charge the car after a trip. This is where the WC on a dedicated circuit proves of benefit.
So, if money isn't a major concern, store the UMC in your car for trips away where destination/fast chargers may be rare, and install a WC to a 32A dedicated circuit in your garage. I've a single phase house (with solar panels), and this is what I've done - very happy.

Reactions: dronus
Upvote 0
I ended up going with a Wall Connector.
Coincidently, it was installed this morning.

I added it to the Tesla app and now I just need to wait for the car to be delivered as it it stuck on the Glovis Caravel.

I may (or may not) end up getting a UMC also but not right now.
I’ve never used the UMC in either of our Ts
WC at home, superchargers on the road

Upvote 0
Why plug UMC into standard GPO when a circuit would be needed for WC. Put the same circuit in but use a UMC. Charging rate just as quick and more versatile.

Leave UMC on wall, then take with car if going on a long trip

2 caveats;
- Wall charger is capable of 3 phase (faster) UMC is not.
- Wall charger can be scheduled for start and stop charging via the app, UMC can only be set for start, not finish.

Upvote 0
2 caveats;
- Wall charger is capable of 3 phase (faster) UMC is not.
- Wall charger can be scheduled for start and stop charging via the app, UMC can only be set for start, not finish.
You can sort of set the UMC to finish charging.
For me, I want to charge during my main solar export hours. This is how I have it set in the app:

Schedule - Departure - Off Peak Charge - 4pm. Then deselect Off Peak Charge.
Schedule - Charge - Start charging - 7am.

The car starts charging at 7am and finishes at 4pm. If I use the car during the day and then plug it in after late morning, I need to restart the charging via the app, but it usually stops charging at 4pm.

I would like the extra charging speed of the HPWC, but I'll wait until "Charge on Solar" arrives so that I don't have to worry about drawing large amounts of power from the grid if my solar production dips during charging.

Upvote 0
I ended up going with a Wall Connector.
Coincidently, it was installed this morning.

I added it to the Tesla app and now I just need to wait for the car to be delivered as it it stuck on the Glovis Caravel.

I may (or may not) end up getting a UMC also but not right now.
Good work 👍

I went the wall connector as I will be charging mostly in my driveway so this way I have a waterproof, vandal resistant charger I can just plug the car into without having to faff about with the portable charger.
I’ve got the portable charger also for if needed on the road, and I put an additional 32a circuit in the shed for those hot days or hail filled stormy nights.

Just need the car now too :)

Reactions: cafz and Punchbuggy
Upvote 0
You can sort of set the UMC to finish charging.
For me, I want to charge during my main solar export hours. This is how I have it set in the app:

Schedule - Departure - Off Peak Charge - 4pm. Then deselect Off Peak Charge.
Schedule - Charge - Start charging - 7am.

The car starts charging at 7am and finishes at 4pm. If I use the car during the day and then plug it in after late morning, I need to restart the charging via the app, but it usually stops charging at 4pm.
I have to confess that I don't understand what you are describing here.

You can't have a departure time (which includes an off-peak end time) and a "start charging" time simultaneously, you can either select one or the other.

If you select a "start charging" time, it will charge until the charge limit. It won't stop early based on any off-peak end time that you have previously set and then overridden by selecting a "start charging" time.

Upvote 0
I have to confess that I don't understand what you are describing here.

You can't have a departure time (which includes an off-peak end time) and a "start charging" time simultaneously, you can either select one or the other.

If you select a "start charging" time, it will charge until the charge limit. It won't stop early based on any off-peak end time that you have previously set and then overridden by selecting a "start charging" time.
You can't have them both active at the same time, but the numbers selected in each option do appear to have an effect. I would much prefer to just be able to set a window (or windows) of time where charging will occur, but this seems to be my best option. If my battery is low enough, and I just leave the car on the UMC all day, it will start charging at the "start charging" time, and stop at the off-peak end time.

Upvote 0