Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home delivery questions [Texas home delivery]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla forced me to schedule home delivery even though I wanted to take delivery at my local gallery. I have a few questions and concerns.

1. Does someone just drop the car off at my house and leave or do I have a chance to review the car for flaws inside and out and reject it if there is a major issue?

2. Tesla told me in TX I can’t pay with a physical check and they want me to ach or wire the money and overnight the balance in the form of a loan check from my CU which I would have to do prior to seeing my car which I’m not cool with.

How does it work if I don’t want to send the funds until I can review and accept the car if they are just bringing it to my house? Does the Tesla rep bringing the car just stay until I’ve accepted and paid?

If I don’t send the ACH and FedEx the loan check prior to the scheduled home delivery date will they just cancel my delivery/order?

3. Is there any way to force a gallery delivery rather than home?

Not in texas, since the state does not allow sales of tesla. Thats also why you cant "inspect the car and reject it" first, because you will already own it before its delivered.

They will not deliver it without full payment. The way that they get around the sales ban in texas is to sell you the car in another state, and simply "deliver" it to you in texas.

If you dont pay ahead of time, yes they will eventually cancel your order.

Blame texas for not allowing sales of tesla vehicles in the state. Anything you read about inspecting the car before delivery, paying with a personal check, etc etc does not apply to states where direct sales by the manufacturer are banned, and that includes Texas.

Not in texas, since the state does not allow sales of tesla. Thats also why you cant "inspect the car and reject it" first, because you will already own it before its delivered.

They will not deliver it without full payment. The way that they get around the sales ban in texas is to sell you the car in another state, and simply "deliver" it to you in texas.

If you dont pay ahead of time, yes they will eventually cancel your order.

Blame texas for not allowing sales of tesla vehicles in the state. Anything you read about inspecting the car before delivery, paying with a personal check, etc etc does not apply to states where direct sales by the manufacturer are banned, and that includes Texas.

Thanks for the explanation, is that why it’s not possible to take delivery at a service center or gallery?

What’s recourse if the car shows up and there’s a gouge in the door? Tesla then has the money and would want to repaint a metal panel on a brand new car?

Thanks for the explanation, is that why it’s not possible to take delivery at a service center or gallery?

What’s recourse if the car shows up and there’s a gouge in the door? Tesla then has the money and would want to repaint a metal panel on a brand new car?

In your case (in texas) yes, that is my understanding. You might want to post in the texas subforum for details of delivery there, but texas does not allow direct manufacturer vehicle sales, so in order to buy a tesla there they have to sell you one outside the state and deliver the car you already own to you.

It'll be OK. I felt the same way you do, would have preferred a Gallery pickup because the less people mess with your car, the better!

You will be buying the car in California. Just make sure you pay in full (or finance) and take care of adding the car to insurance well ahead of delivery (you can call your insurance and have the start sate changed post delivery). Tesla won't ship until you pay.

I even called to try and switch it to Gallery pickup. No dice. In the end, home delivery was great! They called me as they left the Service center, to let me know when they would arrive. I tracked the car driving to my home on the Tesla app.

There were two Tesla employees (the driver and one in a second Tesla). The guy in the second Tesla arrived first, and played boom box sounds for us while we waited. 😂 They had three other deliveries in the area that afternoon and were car pooling back to the SC.

Once the car arrived, they didn’t make me feel rushed at all. In fact, they were prepared to show me much more than I needed or wanted them to. Car was clean and aside from a few bugs on the front, was no worse for the wear.

After I finished giving it a good once over, I accepted delivery and they let me know I had three days and 100 miles to report anything I did find later. Overall a very pleasant experience and actually saw TWO Tesla employees at the same time. 😉

Would not hesitate to recommend home delivery, especially to avoid the mob at the SC at end of quarter. A few weeks later your registration packet will arrive via FedEx and you can head down to the local tax office to register the car and pay sales tax.

DM me with any questions, I know it seems like a lot but it's a heck of a lot easier than dealing w/ a dealership overall.

Tim

It'll be OK. I felt the same way you do, would have preferred a Gallery pickup because the less people mess with your car, the better!

You will be buying the car in California. Just make sure you pay in full (or finance) and take care of adding the car to insurance well ahead of delivery (you can call your insurance and have the start sate changed post delivery). Tesla won't ship until you pay.

I even called to try and switch it to Gallery pickup. No dice. In the end, home delivery was great! They called me as they left the Service center, to let me know when they would arrive. I tracked the car driving to my home on the Tesla app.

There were two Tesla employees (the driver and one in a second Tesla). The guy in the second Tesla arrived first, and played boom box sounds for us while we waited. 😂 They had three other deliveries in the area that afternoon and were car pooling back to the SC.

Once the car arrived, they didn’t make me feel rushed at all. In fact, they were prepared to show me much more than I needed or wanted them to. Car was clean and aside from a few bugs on the front, was no worse for the wear.

After I finished giving it a good once over, I accepted delivery and they let me know I had three days and 100 miles to report anything I did find later. Overall a very pleasant experience and actually saw TWO Tesla employees at the same time. 😉

Would not hesitate to recommend home delivery, especially to avoid the mob at the SC at end of quarter. A few weeks later your registration packet will arrive via FedEx and you can head down to the local tax office to register the car and pay sales tax.

DM me with any questions, I know it seems like a lot but it's a heck of a lot easier than dealing w/ a dealership overall.

Tim

I was actually hoping someone with direct experience like yourself would comment. 👍

Reactions: TBrownTX
This is incorrect. You can take delivery at a gallery or service center in Texas. Why they’re not willing to let you idk but I took delivery of my 2021 Model X at Tesla in Dallas and my 3 is scheduled for delivery at the Tesla service center in Dallas as well.

No, not incorrect. While you can at times take delivery at a gallery or service center, sometimes they are not delivering at those locations and won’t give you another option, as was the case with me and apparently the OP as well.

Tim

Reactions: EvEv
This is interesting. My SA told me that it looks like I’m slated to pick my car up at the Plano Service Center after the car is prepped. While I was talking to my SA prior to ordering my car, a few people came into the Legacy West Tesla location to pick up their new cars and were guided to the parking garage behind the store. Seems that it’s different for everyone depending on the number of deliveries at any particular time.

This is interesting. My SA told me that it looks like I’m slated to pick my car up at the Plano Service Center after the car is prepped. While I was talking to my SA prior to ordering my car, a few people came into the Legacy West Tesla location to pick up their new cars and were guided to the parking garage behind the store. Seems that it’s different for everyone depending on the number of deliveries at any particular time.

I was never given the option for SC pickup through the whole process. During the online order, home delivery was the only option right form the start. Other people were picking up their cars at the Plano SC around that same time. No idea why some can and some can't, just more Tesla mystery to marvel at!

Tim

Reactions: CosmosMpower
Thanks everyone, super helpful. My delivery is supposed to be 1/29 but I wasn’t planning to pay via ACH until at least 1/26 or 1/27 as that’s when I’m selling a current car and part of my cash funding is coming from the sale.

Tesla says the car is supposed to be in Tx around 26th or 27th for make ready in Dallas. If I don’t pay off the balance by then I imagine the car will still be in CA and the 1/29 delivery date won’t happen?

Seeing as I have a 153xxx VIN and the newest 159-160xxx cars have the Ryzen chip and LI Ion battery I’m tempted to just pass on this car anyway now.

I spoke to another advisor, they told me they will ship the car to TX before it's paid but won't deliver it until it's paid in full.

I ended up having them remove the VIN and cancel 1/30 delivery since it seems all the cars built from now on seem to be getting the new hardware so I did a 24 hour hold and will see when I'll match up with a newer car in the next few days.

• Informative
I am in the same boat. No home delivery. Basically the app told me to Come and pick up your Tesla at the Legacy West Tesla when they confirm the date.

I'll add in my experience from just a few days ago. I absolutely did not want home delivery. No place to easily park the car. I didn't want them to basically just drop it off and not have time to look over the car. I live by a popular area to eat and overflow parking goes on my street and having just moved here, my garage is still not organized well enough to have fit the S in.

So when I called (repeatedly) and finally got someone to change it to pick it up. Then 1 day before delivery I got a call and was told they couldn't do that. So I finally got through to someone who said, if you are within 20 miles of the service center, they drop the car to you no matter what. He said they are a service center working on cars, not a "delivery center" and it adversely impacts their primary function.

He promised me I'd have all the time I needed to look over the car and make sure it was right before delivery. Well it was true I had all the time I needed but the car wasn't "right" at delivery. It wasn't bad enough to reject but issues where I didn't want to drive it until they were fixed. So the S has just been sitting until if finally gets in for service in March with a mid-Feb delivery date.

I'll add in my experience from just a few days ago. I absolutely did not want home delivery. No place to easily park the car. I didn't want them to basically just drop it off and not have time to look over the car. I live by a popular area to eat and overflow parking goes on my street and having just moved here, my garage is still not organized well enough to have fit the S in.

So when I called (repeatedly) and finally got someone to change it to pick it up. Then 1 day before delivery I got a call and was told they couldn't do that. So I finally got through to someone who said, if you are within 20 miles of the service center, they drop the car to you no matter what. He said they are a service center working on cars, not a "delivery center" and it adversely impacts their primary function.

He promised me I'd have all the time I needed to look over the car and make sure it was right before delivery. Well it was true I had all the time I needed but the car wasn't "right" at delivery. It wasn't bad enough to reject but issues where I didn't want to drive it until they were fixed. So the S has just been sitting until if finally gets in for service in March with a mid-Feb delivery date.
I live 2 miles from the service center in Plano TX. No option of home delivery for me.