Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery at service center vs home? [in Texas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if taking delivery at a service center is a better option than home delivery. We live a few hundred miles from the Dallas service center. But thinking about changing our delivery to the service center. Thinking it would be easier to address any issues or concerns. 🤷‍♂️ Plus I would I think it would be much easier and cheaper for Tesla to deliver and prep the car there than in a parking lot or driveway.

I have no idea how Texas delivery works, or if it has changed, but my advice is to always take delivery at a delivery center (not every tesla service center is a delivery center) if possible, for the reasons you specified.

Texas has different dealer laws though, so I am not sure how that has been addressed since Tesla moved its headquarters there. You will want to check with someone who has taken delivery in Texas recently to see.

Reactions: carcrazyguy
That is what I hope to find out. Maybe someone will chime in. I asked the Tesla contact if I could change my delivery from my home address to the Dallas service center and they replied “we can make the change”. It is closer to where we are going to have the PPF installed so it would save 350 miles of unprotected driving anyway. That is IF the PPF shop can work us in at the exact time the car delivers…🤪 nothing like asking for all the stars to align, right?

So Cal delivery here: I recently took delivery at our home (last Friday) and debated on picking up vs home delivery for the same reason you listed. While I still would have preferred to pick up in retrospect for the experience (my situation is different as I have a few service centers near by) the home delivery option was a breeze (easy for me to say because our MY didn't have any major flaws).

Tesla driver delivered the vehicle and chatted with him as he was waiting for his Uber.

Documenting issues via the app was easy and scheduling a service appointment was straight forward. All SA communications via email/text/app were very responsive.

I believe you have to report any findings/issues within the first 100 miles of accepting delivery. Given that you are a few hundred miles away, you might need to spend some time at the service center and document issues before heading home...

Do you know if they drove your car from service center or did they park a transport truck somewhere near and only drive the car a few miles? Sorry for all the detailed questions just curious how this will work as I haven’t found any way to speak with anyone with Tesla. Maybe once they issue the VIN I will actually get to talk to someone? 🤣

Do you know if they drove your car from service center or did they park a transport truck somewhere near and only drive the car a few miles? Sorry for all the detailed questions just curious how this will work as I haven’t found any way to speak with anyone with Tesla. Maybe once they issue the VIN I will actually get to talk to someone? 🤣

There are three Tesla service centers within 10 miles of my home. MY came with 15 miles on the odometer. They probably unloaded the transport trucks at the service centers then had them delivered.

I thought Tesla charged an extra fee for home delivery? $750? Maybe the waive the fee if your beyond a certain distance to the delivery/service center?
If your home is close then home delivery is free. At least it was when the delivery centers were overwhelmed. In that case I think the car is driven to your home. If you are further away then there is a delivery charge based on distance and the car is transported by a 3rd party.

I had my car delivered from Colorado Springs, CO to Silver City, NM. About 650 miles. It cost $750. It was transported by a 3rd party on a standard, open, car carrier. The delivery people were total jerks. I sincerely hope Tesla stopped working with them after my complaints.

I payed for home delivery but the plans were changed at the last minute and the car was dropped off on the opposite side of town two days early. Then the driver drove right past the location they chose. Instead of turning around he dropped off the car at the wrong place and I had to walk a half mile in the rain to get it. I was given no time to inspect the car. One of the keys was missing and I was told to either take the car as-is or leave it. I had to pay for the car in full before it was delivered so I didn't have a lot of leverage.

It was a bad experience but I love the car.

Just curious if taking delivery at a service center is a better option than home delivery. We live a few hundred miles from the Dallas service center. But thinking about changing our delivery to the service center. Thinking it would be easier to address any issues or concerns. 🤷‍♂️ Plus I would I think it would be much easier and cheaper for Tesla to deliver and prep the car there than in a parking lot or driveway.
Do NOT take home delivery and accept the car before! Never! Make sure you tell them in writing that you will need to do a pre-purchase inspection prior of paying and accepting the car - No exceptions!
I had to reject the first car, as it was sooo bad.
The second car, which I picked up yesterday in FT Worth is excellent. But they knew I would reject anything that has material defects and misalignment issues. They made sure this time that the vehicle was top.
Again, make sure you text them this so you have it in writing and record all conversations (Tesla does as well).
Before you leave make sure they confirm in writing that your vehicle is actually at the delivery center and ready for delivery.
Address Simon directly in the text message. After I rejected the first car, his tune changed and he saw he cannot push me around. Be polite and firm. Do not accept any BS and be prepared to go home without a car.

Reactions: drdumont
Ultimately, if there is something wrong with the vehicle and you live hundreds of miles away, they will just state that they will fix it after the fact. So either way, you will kind of be in the same boat if there is an issue. If you want to make it easier, I would probably just get the home delivery. Personally, I would make the trip to dallas and drive my car back, since I like the get to know the vehicle right after delivery, and a long road trip helps to do so.

If you pay $750 for home delivery, it's through a third-party carrier. The issue with that, in my opinion, is that if the car has damage you can't know if it was from Tesla or the carrier... and they'll likely both point fingers at each other. I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

I agree that seeing the car before accepting it is ideal. I drove 7 hours for pickup because I had a trade in.

I changed my delivery to a Dallas service center. Just felt it was the best option to maybe get quicker allocation and best overall experience of picking up our first EV. Having it delivered to our driveway would be nice but not very memorable.
I picked up my first Model 3 at the Dallas Service center. Perfect car, perfect delivery, even offered tips on setting up and operation. Feb 2020
My 2nd Model 3 was delivered to my house by 2 guys, with another Model 3 as the chase car. Guy was garbed in - I kid you not - hospital scrubs, cloth lask, plastic face shield, gloves. proffered me a plastic wrapped IPAD to sign with a plastic wrapped stylus. After inspecting the car in and out, I signed, and he handed me two cards in a plastic bag! Steering wheel was plastic wrappes, as well as the stalks. - March 2020
My 3rd Model 3 was scheduled (finally) for pickup on 20 December, 9AM. On 18 December at 0800 I got a text that my car was in the area and they would deliver it soon. I was out, alas. I got home at Noon and there was a shiny new red Model 3 sitting at the curb, locked. No idea when t appeared. Wasn't on my app. Just as my blood pressure went to Trade Mark over 250, I restarted the phone. Up popped the new car in the app. Unlocked it, went through the car in and out, and the app said the press here to accept the car. Boom! It came alive. Finally found two cards in the console after searching with a flashlight. Never talked to a human being from my order to driving it away. - July 2021.
Can't gripe, got a "2022" model with all the bells and whistles. Car in perfect shape.

Tesla can be an enigma wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in chaos.

I'm a little confused here (not unusual). It's my understanding that you have to pay for the vehicle before you even go to the delivery location in Texas. So, how can you refuse to pay before inspection? Once you've paid for it in advance, how can you reject delivery? I mean, they've got your money, why would they care if you reject delivery?

Also, does the car come with dealer tags? They're not a dealer and don't do registration like a dealer would do, so how do they get dealer tags?

Thanks.

I'm a little confused here (not unusual). It's my understanding that you have to pay for the vehicle before you even go to the delivery location in Texas. So, how can you refuse to pay before inspection? Once you've paid for it in advance, how can you reject delivery? I mean, they've got your money, why would they care if you reject delivery?

Also, does the car come with dealer tags? They're not a dealer and don't do registration like a dealer would do, so how do they get dealer tags?

Thanks.
In Texas, since the transaction (legal sale of the vehicle) actually happens out of state, you pay Tesla for the car, show insurance (a phone call to my agent and I had the cert in about an hour), since they have sent you the VIN). I did a wire transfer.
The car is either brought to your house or you pick it up at a delivery center. In either case, you have the right to fully inspect the car before accepting delivery. There are tons of anecdotal references about those who have rejected a car on delivery. Is appears that If you decline delivery, then you deal with them about either canceling the transaction, accepting the car with promise of fixing the issues, or perhaps wait for another car. I have heard of folks who said "The Hell with it!" and got a refund in a few weeks. To each his own, I guess.
My cars came with two paper plates, one dated after the other, and a state inspection certificate.
Then the Manufacturer's certificate and other paperwork came in about a week via FEDEX. I then had (legally) until the expiry of the 2nd paper plate to pay the sales tax and registration. I had ordered vanity plates which I picked up from the DMV a week or so later. Make sure you have ID, the Tesla paperwork, bill of sale, insurance card showing that VIN, and the funds. Dallas accepts cash, and (ISTR) debit/credit cards, but I'm not sure about checks.
All this, of course, is in Texas, abiding by the regulation our bought and paid for (apologies for redundancy) politicians refuse to join the 21st Century..
In Dallas county, you can see on the Tax Assessor's website which office has the shortest line. I was in and out in about 20 minutes in Grand Prairie. And shucky darn, I had to drive there in my still new car!
Overall, a little inconvenient, but I didn't have to deal with the hassles of a dealership. And in the case of EV The Good Ship Venus II, I never once saw or spoke to a human including when I drove my car away from my front curb. For the record, I've been happy as a poule d'eau in a canary's cage with all three transactions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alonzo
There are tons of anecdotal references about those who have rejected a car on delivery. Is appears that If you decline delivery, then you deal with them about either canceling the transaction, accepting the car with promise of fixing the issues, or perhaps wait for another car. I have heard of folks who said "The Hell with it!) and got a refund in a few weeks. To each his own, I guess.
My cars came with two paper plates, one dated after the other, and a state inspection certificate.
Thanks for your response. Very helpful.

Yes, it's those "tons of anecdotal references" which give me pause. I'm three hours from the delivery location and over two hours from the service center. Hitching a three hour ride only to find out that the suspension was damaged when they unloaded the car off the truck is concerning. I mean I just took delivery of a car which has to be towed to the service center and repaired before I can drive it and I'm three hours from home with no vehicle waiting for me there because I sold it.

I'm still curious how Tesla furnished paper tags when they're not a dealer.

Thanks for your response. Very helpful.

Yes, it's those "tons of anecdotal references" which give me pause. I'm three hours from the delivery location and over two hours from the service center. Hitching a three hour ride only to find out that the suspension was damaged when they unloaded the car off the truck is concerning. I mean I just took delivery of a car which has to be towed to the service center and repaired before I can drive it and I'm three hours from home with no vehicle waiting for me there because I sold it.

I'm still curious how Tesla furnished paper tags when they're not a dealer.

There are also plenty of people who have had no issues on delivery. Perhaps if you are that gunshy, you could arrange for home delivery, albeit there might be additional charges. Or rent something cheap and have someone go with you. If you rent something which allows one way drop off, it will likely be less than the mentioned somewhere $750 delivery charge.

I don't know in what state you reside, but here in Texas, the Plano Tesla facility appears to receive the cars from the factory, some via the Arkansas railhead. Plano and Dallas are licensed State Inspectors, so they can issue the inspection document. I'm not sure of what is needed to be able to issue paper plates, but every "Buy Here-Pay Here" fly by night place appears to be able to issue paper plates. My cars got off the train in W. Memphis, were trucked to Plano or Dallas - Mockingbird. Two appeared at my curb.

To add to the anecdotal dogpile, where I worked until I retired last month, there were 7 people who bought new Teslas after I bought mine. Not a single one had any issue at delivery. I'm betting the FUDI mongers are fueling this fire. In 60 years I have bought four new gassers from dealerships, and three Teslas. Two of the gassers had to go back within a day.

Reactions: Alonzo