Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery at service center vs home? [in Texas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I'm in Texas north of Beaumont. Delivery location is west of Houston on US290 in Cypress. Service Center is north of Houston on IH45.

I realize that most vehicles are delivered without issues, but my luck nowadays ain't so great.

Thanks again.

Talk thru your options with your delivery adviser. Air your concerns. To date my dealings with Tesla have all been positive.
Thanks. I haven't placed the order yet. I talked to a Tesla rep last night. He sounded Indian, I could barely understand him. Anyway, he said that I must pay for the vehicle a couple of days before the delivery date, then it's mine. I asked if I could go look it over before paying for it and he said "no". If I go to pick it up and someone has bashed in the side of the vehicle, they'll fix it for me at no charge. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

He told me that since they weren't dealers, they could not allow me to inspect the interior of the car until I clicked "Accept" on the app. So, the extensive delivery checklist on this forum doesn't help much. I keep seeing how people prefer this approach at Tesla to having to deal and haggle with dealerships. I don't know about that. I never had a problem with dealers. At least I could look the vehicle over and check it out before buying it.

Thanks. I haven't placed the order yet. I talked to a Tesla rep last night. He sounded Indian, I could barely understand him. Anyway, he said that I must pay for the vehicle a couple of days before the delivery date, then it's mine. I asked if I could go look it over before paying for it and he said "no". If I go to pick it up and someone has bashed in the side of the vehicle, they'll fix it for me at no charge. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

He told me that since they weren't dealers, they could not allow me to inspect the interior of the car until I clicked "Accept" on the app. So, the extensive delivery checklist on this forum doesn't help much. I keep seeing how people prefer this approach at Tesla to having to deal and haggle with dealerships. I don't know about that. I never had a problem with dealers. At least I could look the vehicle over and check it out before buying it.
I think you need to re ask the question, perhaps of someone with whom you can better communicate.
I don't know your state, but in the three purchases I made here in Texas, I took delivery at the Showroom/Service center in Dallas, and two at my curb. In all three cases, I was allowed to open the car, look around and inspect before formally accepting the vehicle.
Indeed, I found no issues and therefore have no experience with what would happen had there been an issue.
yeah, there's a matter of trust. I don't trust stealerships, and Tesla has yet to fail to uphold their end of the deal.
And though there may be feathers ruffled here and there, I have no issue with telling someone that I cannot understand them and that I need to speak with someone I CAN understand. I'm not going to try and sort through an accent I can't 100% decipher. And I would expect no less nor am I offended when I am in a country whose language I don't speak well.

Not sure what the range limits are on delivery. I live in Abilene, TX and picked up at the FT Worth service center. My house was out of their delivery area, so pickup was my only option. This was in Feb 2021 so not sure if that has changed since then.

Even if delivery was an option for me, I think I still would have preferred service center. I would hate to have had it delivered and then found issues that I just had to turn right around and bring it back to Ft Worth.

Everyone is different as to the comfort level of paying for a car before seeing/inspecting it. We chose to pay in full before we took delivery. Figured Tesla is a multi billion dollar company and would either deliver us a car that was to our liking or we would get a different vehicle at a later date. I wasn’t worried about paying and not getting the car in return. I would not do that with a car dealer but the manufacturer is not going to take money from one customer and risk the bad publicity if they can’t deliver. We only paid after receiving the VIN and scheduling the delivery date. I am not sure I would have paid in full and had the car delivered to my house. It would be too easy for a transport driver to say, “I only have orders to drop it off. I can’t take it back with me. I am not going back to where the car shipped from.” We chose a service center delivery for that reason.

Reactions: drdumont and Alonzo
So, I called the delivery location, Cypress, TX. Ended up actually talking to someone who claimed to be at Regional HQ in Colorado. He said that the team in Cypress would definitely allow me to inspect the vehicle inside and out before accepting in the app. It will be a pain in the butt to go 2 1/2 hours to Cypress and inspect the vehicle in June/July Texas heat, but I won't take a chance on them delivering it to my house with no real recourse except to accept it.

Several Tesla reps have pointed out that I have several days and up to 100 miles to make any claims on cosmetic issues. Heck, it'll have over 100 miles by the time I get home. I'll have to do a good inspection on site.

I just hope I don't get one which someone else rejected a couple of weeks earlier. However, I guess that could happen at a conventional dealership also. I've heard of new cars getting damaged in transit, the dealership repairing them, and selling them as "new". I suppose if you don't know, it doesn't matter.

I would suggest try researching VIN’s around your VIN number. For instance if you get a VIN sequence of 79XXXX, try to see if people who ordered the within the same timeframe are getting VIN’s in same 79XXXX range. If you get a VIN of 77XXXX and people who ordered around you are getting 79XXXX sequence VIN’s, then yes you might want to dig deeper.

Reactions: Alonzo