Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Wall Charger not locked after charge end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had this happen before this recent SW update. This morning I went into the garage and my car was locked. I lightly tugged on the plug walking by and it came right out with no resistance. The charge door stayed up. No reaction from the car. I thought to myself, that's weird. I put the plug back in, still no reaction. I opened my app and the car woke up and the plug was locked as usual.

Was it cold last night when you were charging?

Yeah, this sounds like the "The car unlocks after charging so the plug does not freeze in the charge port" solution. When the temps are cold Model 3's revert to this mode. They are working around a hardware defect in software.

I demanded they switch my charge port to the new revision which hopefully does not have this issue. I am unsure if mine will still unlock when done though (is the software conditional based on the charge port version you have?). I have not had cold enough days yet to test.

Reactions: Tessaract
Yeah, this sounds like the "The car unlocks after charging so the plug does not freeze in the charge port" solution. When the temps are cold Model 3's revert to this mode. They are working around a hardware defect in software.

I demanded they switch my charge port to the new revision which hopefully does not have this issue. I am unsure if mine will still unlock when done though (is the software conditional based on the charge port version you have?). I have not had cold enough days yet to test.
My car is from Q3 this year. Is the charge port change really new?

My car is from Q3 this year. Is the charge port change really new?

The change isnt new, it was made last winter (2018) when people were reporting their chargers being frozen shut in cold weather. Never experienced it myself as I live in southern california in an area where it doesnt snow. It DOES get down to the mid to low 30s at night during the winter where I am, but I have an attached garage I park in, so it doesnt get cold enough for this to effect my car.

Try searching TMC for terms like "charge port freezing" or something to see if you can find posts on it.

Hey guys, I also had this issue but if the car is cold as based on the software revision will the charge port not lock in the cable when its inserted at the start before the charging begins ? I have noticed last week it was cold under 30 degrees where i live and inserting the cable it seemed to go in with little resistance and i did not hear the noticeable lock noise. i even got the flashing red tesla logo about 10 minutes later. Removing the cable and reinserting it after seemed to work as it should. I have been keeping an eye on it since. I opened a support call with tesla and have an appointment with them tomorrow morning and i plan on bringing my UMC with me and have them confirm the system is working as it should.

So other than tesla servicing the charge port if there is an issue for me are they any other maintenance tips you guys do for the charge port - like silicon spray around the perimeter? I am not a fan on spraying anything near electric components .. just asking.

oh and does your Tesla supplied charging cable get noticeably kinked up a bit in winter? My garage is not heated but it is enclosed.

Thanks. Doug