Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hazard lights and walk away auto-lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve noticed recently that if I have my hazard lights flashing, the car won’t lock and “sleep” (I have sentry on). Even if I lock it remotely later, it doesn’t “sleep.”

I was fairly certain it locked and went to sleep with the hazard lights on before, but sometimes I do doubt myself.

Is this behavior true for everyone else or is it a bug on mine?

Update: I checked my brother-in-law’s MYLR and his did lock even with the hazards flashing.

This, plus the DRL issue and the fact my trunk sometimes doesn’t unlock when I approach makes me think it related… possibly to the service request, which was for the trunk issue. Previously it never unlocked if I approached from directly behind. I’d have to approach along the door or used the app to unlock the trunk. After the service, it seemed to work properly, but on 5 occasions now, it didn’t unlock. The last time was even after I walked along the side of the car to the trunk.

I wonder if there’s an e-gremlin in my car.

The car doesn’t go to sleep when sentry is on, this has nothing to do with the hazards being on or not.
I know I said sleep, but I meant whatever it does when it turns off the screen. For PCs (and the even some consoles) there are different levels of “sleep” states. One type of sleep still allows networking functions and specific systems to continue running. A deeper type of sleep shuts down even more functions to a minimum needed to be able to “wake up,” and not just be actually tuned off.

With the hazard lights in, it keeps the screen on too. This was actually the main reason I even noticed the issue with the hazard.

Does the car always “sleep” if the hazard lights are off? Sometimes the fact that the screens stay on is due to a faulty seat sensor, so the car thinks someone is sitting inside.
It works normally when the hazard lights are off.

The seat sensors work with the hazard lights on or off, at least it triggers the lower volume for my music turns off the headlights (set to AUTO) the moment I get up after opening the doors. I originally put music, but I think the trigger for that one is just opening the doors.

Last edited:
Seems like the recent update fixed this issue.

Tesla called me earlier to talk about the trunk. Specifically they were asking about my two devices that use the Tesla app. One being my Samsung phone and the other is my iPad. I use my phone as a key, but not the iPad because I usually leave it in the car as I’m doing deliveries. If I had it as a key also, it would keep it unlocked while I want it locked. This is also why it’s important for me to have it locked with hazard lights on.

They knew I had a 94% success rate unlock from the trunk. Four out of sixty something failed attempts. I think there should be five, but whatever, close enough. They showed up as sentry mode triggers.

They then talked about the recent update updating the Bluetooth stack (the notes only mentioned security) and that it should fix the issue with unlocking. Though they mentioned keeping an eye out just in case, since it was a rare occurrence to begin with. I installed it Thursday night (March 28th) but didn’t notice anything yesterday with hazard lights (I don’t use it all the time) but decided to check the hazard light today at work (since Tesla brought it up regarding Bluetooth) and so, here we are.

Edit: just went to check the version number in case anyone was curious (2024.8.7] and noticed that there were two new options at the end of the vehicle menu. They are sub-menus for WiFi and Bluetooth. Guess there was quite a bit of work done.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector