Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Wall Power Charger Idle Current wasting Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new install of the Tesla Wall Charger seems to be warm when not in use.
The green light is on in idle mode, but there must be a lot of wasted power running it all the time since it feels warm.
Does it pay to turn off the breaker in between charging sessions? Over time, this wasted power might cost real dollars. It may also cause the breaker to fail since we will be using it as a switch.

No, don't use the breaker as a switch. It isn't meant for that. OTOH, its only a $10-$20 breaker.

The PITA factor of flipping the breaker just isn't worth it.

Reactions: Marcust99
Our new install of the Tesla Wall Charger seems to be warm when not in use.
The green light is on in idle mode, but there must be a lot of wasted power running it all the time since it feels warm.
Does it pay to turn off the breaker in between charging sessions? Over time, this wasted power might cost real dollars. It may also cause the breaker to fail since we will be using it as a switch.
My garage in SE Florida seems a lot warmer since acquiring my Tesla Y. I have been charging it overnight. Could the Tesla cause a rise in temperature?

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector has a WiFi modem that consumes some power. I could not find any information on the standby power consumption of the Wall Connector but it is probably just a few watts.

When you are charging the Tesla vehicle the overall efficiency is ~90%, the rest of the power used is lost as heat. This can make the garage a bit warmer.