Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink and lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So recently I realized I am either going blind, or just can't see at night. I have to back up my driveway to park, and at night I can't for the life of me see to back up. It's not the car, since I can't back up my wife's car either.

I was wondering if anyone has had success hooking up lighting to the cars homelink. I can't seem to find much online about it. I was hoping there could be some way to have the lights turn on as I am approaching my home. Maybe then I could back up.

I can use Alexa, but I would rather it be automated.

Thanks for any help.

So recently I realized I am either going blind, or just can't see at night. I have to back up my driveway to park, and at night I can't for the life of me see to back up. It's not the car, since I can't back up my wife's car either.

I was wondering if anyone has had success hooking up lighting to the cars homelink. I can't seem to find much online about it. I was hoping there could be some way to have the lights turn on as I am approaching my home. Maybe then I could back up.

I can use Alexa, but I would rather it be automated.

Thanks for any help.
I searched for you. I found three interesting things:
  1. User Dan999 posted to this third party forum thread in 2017 that "We have an old X-10 remote controlled outlet that would work with the HomeLink garage door transmitter in the car. So I could use the car button to switch on a remote controlled outlet in the house." So you could look for such an outlet or peruse that thread further.
  2. User tiggs81682 posted this thread on reddit 2 years ago that he wanted to control something else with his car buttons. One of the top responses in that thread linked to http://www.homelink.com/about/lighting which doesn't exist at that location anymore, but implies the functionality has existed, additionally, that thread might have some other gems in it.
  3. The wayback machine on archive.org lists the missing site above archived as recently as September 8th, 2019 and all the way back to November of 2013. I tried to load several different arhive copies and they all showed that the archive attempts got redirected to the home page, so either that link was wrong or it could only be accessed from referral links elsewhere on homelink.com. In any case, relevant information might be found by perusing homelink.com.

Reactions: Stin121