Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Now An Extra Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery today. Homelink wasn’t installed but after I showed that line from the purchase agreement they then set up a schedule to get Homelink purchased and installed, WITHOUT charge. I recommend you all bring that purchase agreement and show them the text that says “Your vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order”. It’s a clear bait and switch tactic if they don’t agree to add it after delivery. Best of luck.

All:
I'm assuming mine, once it arrives, won't have Homelink - as it will have just been built (not existing inventory). I noticed you can't order Homelink on the web site without a VIN. Further, I understand, for us on the West Coast, that the time between VIN assignment and delivery is around 3-4 days. Given this, and the fact that the service center has to install equipment, is it even possible to pick up an ordered car nowadays with Homelink installed at the time of delivery, and without having to come back later to get Homelink installed? The only way I see how is holding off on delivery until the local service team has time to due the install, otherwise, you would take delivery and have to come back to the service center at a later date. If that is truly the process, it seems really @$$ backwards and not Elon Musk-like. Who knows the truth/facts on this?

All:
I'm assuming mine, once it arrives, won't have Homelink - as it will have just been built (not existing inventory). I noticed you can't order Homelink on the web site without a VIN. Further, I understand, for us on the West Coast, that the time between VIN assignment and delivery is around 3-4 days. Given this, and the fact that the service center has to install equipment, is it even possible to pick up an ordered car nowadays with Homelink installed at the time of delivery, and without having to come back later to get Homelink installed? The only way I see how is holding off on delivery until the local service team has time to due the install, otherwise, you would take delivery and have to come back to the service center at a later date. If that is truly the process, it seems really @$$ backwards and not Elon Musk-like. Who knows the truth/facts on this?

I've asked my OA about even paying for it, once vehicle is ready for delivery, have service complete the home link install and he replied it cant be done. I would need to make another appointment after taking delivery. I told him the closest service center is about 70 miles away and he simply stated that's just how it needs to be done.

I've asked my OA about even paying for it, once vehicle is ready for delivery, have service complete the home link install and he replied it cant be done. I would need to make another appointment after taking delivery. I told him the closest service center is about 70 miles away and he simply stated that's just how it needs to be done.

Pretty sad. It should have been included in one of the premium packages, and if cost was an issue, include that in the package price. This needless customer inconvenience is a troubling development for such a new high tech company. I guess Elon has finally succumb to wall street after all.

The hardware is in the Tesla Shop under Model 3 accessories. $300.

When you click on that link, a VIN is required to order, and when you read the notes, it has to be taken to a service center. Since I can't yet get past the VIN requirement, I can't see what happens with the process after that. Has anyone actually ordered it this way? If so, please share with us the rest of the process...

What I did, at the suggestion of another TM3 owner, was to attach my garage opener to the back, lower left corner of my display. It's out of site and me or my wife can easily reach under the display and tap the button. Works like a charm and cost me nothing. You could use double stick tape but I had some spare 3M velcro-like tapes normally used for my EZ Pass device. That allows me to easily pop the opener off when I'll need to change the battery.

What I did, at the suggestion of another TM3 owner, was to attach my garage opener to the back, lower left corner of my display. It's out of site and me or my wife can easily reach under the display and tap the button. Works like a charm and cost me nothing. You could use double stick tape but I had some spare 3M velcro-like tapes normally used for my EZ Pass device. That allows me to easily pop the opener off when I'll need to change the battery.

I wasn't sure of you were serious when you said you'd give it a try yesterday but I guess you were and I'm glad it worked out :)

Anyone that successfully got Homelink added to the due bill and is willing to privately share your name and delivery date/location with me?

Delivery manager says she already escalated and is not authorized to add to due bill, very friendly tells me if I know of someone else that has been able to get it added she could use the example to better argue in my favor. I will continue to escalate w/corporate and see how far I can get, I know my chances get low once I take delivery but I’m not gonna refuse the car over Homelink.

Anyone that successfully got Homelink added to the due bill and is willing to privately share your name and delivery date/location with me?

Delivery manager says she already escalated and is not authorized to add to due bill, very friendly tells me if I know of someone else that has been able to get it added she could use the example to better argue in my favor. I will continue to escalate w/corporate and see how far I can get, I know my chances get low once I take delivery but I’m not gonna refuse the car over Homelink.
Hey, I'm about to take delivery in wpb. I ordered in may, but I know my manufacture date was June, so no homelink included. Can I ask in what city you took delivery? Just wondering what kind of battle I will have...

When you click on that link, a VIN is required to order, and when you read the notes, it has to be taken to a service center. Since I can't yet get past the VIN requirement, I can't see what happens with the process after that. Has anyone actually ordered it this way? If so, please share with us the rest of the process...

I confirmed yesterday, after speaking with Tesla, that hardware is required and that it can't be installed prior to delivery. A separate service appointment is required, and in some cases (i.e., if you live more than 50 miles from a service center), mobile service may be an option. Oh well...

I confirmed yesterday, after speaking with Tesla, that hardware is required and that it can't be installed prior to delivery. A separate service appointment is required, and in some cases (i.e., if you live more than 50 miles from a service center), mobile service may be an option. Oh well...
How can Tesla possibly make more than, what, $50 on this, if that? This has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen since a company a friend of mine worked for laid off all their contractors they had working cost plus for the government.

Reactions: jebinc