Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, mine is behaving exactly the same way. It opens when I come home, but doesn’t close when I leave. I’ll have to try reprogramming it. And, yes, the distances for mirrors vs garage door appear different. Set at 30 feet, I have to practically touch the garage door for it to open, but my mirrors fold and unfold half way down the block.

My issue is the auto close when I’m leaving the garage. I manually open the garage door with the control on the wall. When I get in the car to leave it skipped the auto close. What’s the work around?

I've posted this info before in other HomeLink threads. (This presumes that auto-open works every time you get to your garage. If it doesn't, there's another issue.) How exactly do you park when you arrive at your garage? Do you pull in, decide you might be a little too far forward, then reverse the car a little before parking? If you do, this action is what stops HomeLink from auto-closing the next time you exit your garage. If you pull in and park without reversing, auto-close should work the next time you leave.

I had problems for literally a year with auto-close sporadically working, sometimes for days/weeks at a time. Auto-open always worked. I thought it was malfunctioning HomeLink, GPS, or just a bug. Someone pointed this out and I realized that I was almost always adjusting my final position inside the garage by reversing after pulling in. I stopped doing that and now auto-close works when I leave every time.

Just got homelink fitted. It’s not ubiquitous here in UK so I thought I would see if I could test programming at home.

1 out of 3 devices work but tbh it was always going to be a will it or won’t it work affair.

So I have the one remote programmed, can I change its location or do I have to start over at the location of use?

I guess it’s a bit of extra security that it can only be programmed at the site of use.

Im not interested in auto opening, just open being it offered on screen when I arrive.

Just got homelink fitted. It’s not ubiquitous here in UK so I thought I would see if I could test programming at home.

1 out of 3 devices work but tbh it was always going to be a will it or won’t it work affair.

So I have the one remote programmed, can I change its location or do I have to start over at the location of use?

I guess it’s a bit of extra security that it can only be programmed at the site of use.

Im not interested in auto opening, just open being it offered on screen when I arrive.
I would be interested installing an Homelink receiver to activate my garage door.
I have already a push button to open or close the gate, so the instaation should be quite simple.

Do you have any experience doing a DIY Homelink installation?