Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to Autofold mirrors when entering/existing garage without Homelink/MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Homelink on our 2018 could fold/unfold the mirrors when entering/exiting the garage; however, our 2023 does not have Homelink and I do not wish to subscribe to MyQ and my garage door opener is not within range of my Wifi. Is there anyway to configure the car to, without Homelink/MyQ/Internet, Auto Fold the mirrors when entering/exiting the garage. The GPS in the car knows when it is nearing the garage so seems like it should not need either Homelink or MyQ to fold the mirrors (I have no problem pushing the button on the garage remote). Basically I want the mirrors to fold/unfold using the cars GPS (fold when at/near my home and auto unfold when I am a few hundred feet from my home (which I think it will do anyway).

Thanks Very Much in Advance!
Regards Ron

Last edited:
I don't think HomeLink is necessary for the mirror folding feature. Note that there are TWO settings that control the mirror folding. (This is for my 2020 Model S, your software may differ.)

Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Fold

and

Controls > Auto-Fold Set at This Location

Check your manual to see if there's any special differences for your model.

Use the first setting above to have your mirrors fold when you lock the car. Park in front of your garage, and use the second setting above to get your mirrors to fold when you approach your garage (this always works for me).

Note that there is a long-standing software bug* that will cause your mirrors to behave in a random fashion when you unlock your car in the garage. For me, they never remain folded for my trip out the garage door. Instead of staying folded, one mirror will unfold, or both will unfold, or one will unfold and the other one will unfold when I step on the brake pedal. Or they may unfold, then fold, then unfold.

Please let me know in this post if you have success with this or if you experience a similar failure. Thanks!

* Telsa acknowledges that this is a known defect, but they refuse to repair it (even though it's covered under the warranty).

I don't think HomeLink is necessary for the mirror folding feature. Note that there are TWO settings that control the mirror folding. (This is for my 2020 Model S, your software may differ.)

Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Fold

and

Controls > Auto-Fold Set at This Location

Check your manual to see if there's any special differences for your model.

Use the first setting above to have your mirrors fold when you lock the car. Park in front of your garage, and use the second setting above to get your mirrors to fold when you approach your garage (this always works for me).

Note that there is a long-standing software bug* that will cause your mirrors to behave in a random fashion when you unlock your car in the garage. For me, they never remain folded for my trip out the garage door. Instead of staying folded, one mirror will unfold, or both will unfold, or one will unfold and the other one will unfold when I step on the brake pedal. Or they may unfold, then fold, then unfold.

Please let me know in this post if you have success with this or if you experience a similar failure. Thanks!

* Telsa acknowledges that this is a known defect, but they refuse to repair it (even though it's covered under the warranty).

At least on model 3 and Y there IS a setting to auto fold the mirrors using GPS (in addition to the settings on parking or not parking that you are talking about).

================================================

Auto Opening and Closing​

To operate a HomeLink device without using the touchscreen, you can automate the device to open as you approach, and close as you drive away:
  1. Touch the HomeLink icon at the top of the Controls screen, touch HomeLink Settings, then choose the device you want to automate.
  2. Adjust the device's HomeLink settings as needed:
    • Select the Auto-open when arriving checkbox if you want the device to open as you approach.
    • Touch the arrows to specify the distance you want Model 3 to be from the device before it opens.
    • Select the Auto-close when leaving checkbox if you want the device to close as you drive away.
    • Select the Auto-fold mirrors checkbox if you want mirrors to fold when you arrive at the HomeLink location. This is useful for narrow garages.
    • Select the Chime for Auto-open and Auto-close checkbox if you want Model 3 to sound a chime when a signal has been sent to open or close the device
==============================================

To OP,

No, there is no way to do this exact feature without MyQ or Homelink. You can set it to auto fold when you park or save a location where it auto folds, but you cant "gps" auto fold and unfold it without homelink, which seems to be what you are asking since you also are mentioning stuff like "the gps in the car knows blah blah blah".