Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Driving Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
Yeah. It is interesting how the law on mobile usage is (a) while the vehicle is in motion, and (b) against holding the phone (as opposed to touching it). They don't seem to address the distraction issue at all - but rather focus on the one-handed driving issue - which seems rather short sighted. Quite literally 'hands free'.

I can't find anything specific against SMS texting while driving, so long as you don't hold the phone.

I think we are all agreed that the law is woefully inadequate in some places (e.g. child seats), and overly restrictive in others (reflective mirrors, seats, displays, telematics, etc). The question is how to change it? Looking at the history of revisions to those legislations I captioned, they seem few and far between. For something where the technology changes so rapidly, the legislation is hardly touched.

Ah, yes, you can hold a baby in your lap, "hands free", but not a phone.

Having one of each, I can testify to holding a baby is much more distracting than holding a phone.

Also, in the unlikely (but possible) event of a crash - I would much rather have my baby strapped in, rather than my phone.

Not saying it's ok to let yourself get distracted, whether due to smoking, eating, picking your nose, calling, texting, talking, playing mahjong or anything else.

If Hong Kong was really serious about road safety, they should start by installing usable road signs, and removing the ones that are only distracting.

Like which lane to pick, well in advance. Large, clear signs that leave no doubt, even to someone who hasn't been there before.

"Keep left unless overtaking" - enforce that one too. So many vehicles, from small motorcycles to the largest trucks - insist on persistently driving in the rightmost lane, regardless what speed they are doing. This means so many will pass on the inside. Very dangerous, but what do you do when a taxi is doing 85 km/h in the right lane on the Lantau expressway?

Its the driving instructors that are the problem. No one seems to learn to indicate turns, look before you change lanes or lane courtesy. None of the instructors would pass a driving test anywhere else.

And who taught that woman I saw in Sai Kung the other day to reverse in a roundabout if you miss your turnoff.....?

Ah, yes, you can hold a baby in your lap, "hands free", but not a phone.

Having one of each, I can testify to holding a baby is much more distracting than holding a phone.

Also, in the unlikely (but possible) event of a crash - I would much rather have my baby strapped in, rather than my phone.

Not saying it's ok to let yourself get distracted, whether due to smoking, eating, picking your nose, calling, texting, talking, playing mahjong or anything else.

If Hong Kong was really serious about road safety, they should start by installing usable road signs, and removing the ones that are only distracting.

Like which lane to pick, well in advance. Large, clear signs that leave no doubt, even to someone who hasn't been there before.

"Keep left unless overtaking" - enforce that one too. So many vehicles, from small motorcycles to the largest trucks - insist on persistently driving in the rightmost lane, regardless what speed they are doing. This means so many will pass on the inside. Very dangerous, but what do you do when a taxi is doing 85 km/h in the right lane on the Lantau expressway?

OMG you just listed all my hatreds of driving in Hong Kong. It's a joke how rediculous people drive here, there is no lanes, no indicating, and undertaking is more common than overtaking.

And the Street signs here are so bad, they put directions to junctions right at the point of the lanes breaking off giving you no time to get into the correct lane. They just expect you to know every single road (thankfully I almost do these days!) but seriously the road signs here are the worst, you're better off just taking a guess, making a mistake, than following them at the last minute when you realise you're in the totally wrong lanes!

OMG you just listed all my hatreds of driving in Hong Kong. It's a joke how rediculous people drive here, there is no lanes, no indicating, and undertaking is more common than overtaking.

And the Street signs here are so bad, they put directions to junctions right at the point of the lanes breaking off giving you no time to get into the correct lane. They just expect you to know every single road (thankfully I almost do these days!) but seriously the road signs here are the worst, you're better off just taking a guess, making a mistake, than following them at the last minute when you realise you're in the totally wrong lanes!

So True!

At first I thought that maybe they do small street signs because they worry about large signs being dangerous during typhoons... But after a while I realised that not only are the signs small, but they are almost always placed too late or too far down the road to be useful!

Its the driving instructors that are the problem. No one seems to learn to indicate turns, look before you change lanes or lane courtesy. None of the instructors would pass a driving test anywhere else.

And who taught that woman I saw in Sai Kung the other day to reverse in a roundabout if you miss your turnoff.....?

My wife took her license recently, first time pass. She will use her turn signal if there is a sharp turn in the road, and I try to explain her - as long as you follow the road, you don't use turn signals. I know they do that at the Yuen Long driving school she went to. Saw many cars from there doing the rounds, at each 90 degree twist of the road, turn signal comes on :rolleyes:

It's a planned route of 2 or 3 possibilities. Students sit and watch videos of the route, over and over again, with comments, and just memorize it. "After this turn, use turn signal to this side, choose that lane, be careful of this crossing" and so on.

Basically, the drivers license is good only for driving these three specific routes!

I should probably not "complain", it's not my country of origin. Just such a shame, it takes so little to make it better.

My estimate is, that less of 50% of the drivers are using the turn indicator when turning or changing the lane. Drives me nuts. Must be the substandard driving instructors and the police who are not enforcing it.

I think it is probably better to indicate too much rather than not at all. In Happy Valley you can easily see that 9 out of 10 cars wont indicate when turning. Very dangerous for pedestrians.
Also as a drive in the car following someone, if you indicate, I'll know you will be slowing down to make a turn soon. Much less chance of a rear ender.

My wife took her license recently, first time pass. She will use her turn signal if there is a sharp turn in the road, and I try to explain her - as long as you follow the road, you don't use turn signals. I know they do that at the Yuen Long driving school she went to. Saw many cars from there doing the rounds, at each 90 degree twist of the road, turn signal comes on :rolleyes:

I would rather drivers "over-signal" (use it more than necessary) than under-signal which seems to be the norm in Hong Kong.

I would rather drivers "over-signal" (use it more than necessary) than under-signal which seems to be the norm in Hong Kong.

Or rather, "don't signal".

I can't believe there are instructors out there who teach what DITB described. People like that should be restricted to public transport, and barred from teaching someone to drive, with a violation resulting in 2 weeks to 8 months in jail.

Or rather, "don't signal".

I can't believe there are instructors out there who teach what DITB described. People like that should be restricted to public transport, and barred from teaching someone to drive, with a violation resulting in 2 weeks to 8 months in jail.

When she is driving I am "re-schooling" her and correcting those silly things they teach. Not claiming to be an expert, but things like these are obvious:

- Use your turn signal when you intend to turn, not when you want to turn.
- Don't use your turn signal if you are following the road, only if you are deviating from the expected path, or want to get back on it
- Before you change lane, 1) Check mirrors 2) Look over your shoulder 3) apply turn signal 4) Change lane. And in that order!
- No need to go full speed towards a red light and slam the brakes in the last moment
- Don't go too close to traffic in front. Base the separation on time, not on distance (faster requires longer distance)
- Be polite and accommodating to other traffic, from pedestrians to trucks.
- Look ahead in traffic, the faster you drive, the further you have to look, as that is where you will be even if you slam the brakes
- See what others are doing or are going to do. Try to predict their intentions (not too easy in Hong Kong). See what way they are looking to try to guess if they will comply with traffic rules or not

I can't believe that one of the most challenging places to drive in the world has some of the worst driving schools. And we even picked the one with the best reputation (ie higher percentages pass!). And what are those blue signs with "Keep left unless overtaking" for? They are at each 2 km or so on the expressways, but obviously ignored by both drivers and police.

Last week, in an estate where a speed bump precedes a pedestrian crossing (NOT a zebra crossing, just a path leads that way). I stopped and let the waiting people cross, and a car behind me honked aggressively as obviously, I should have raced over the speed bump and ignored pedestrians. "Might of way" seems to rule in Hong Kong rather than "right of way".

Here are some rules from TD about expressways and trunk routes: )Transport Department - Expressways and Trunks Roads )

Under the Road Traffic ( Expressway ) Regulations, there are special driving rules which apply to expressways. These rules are made to enhance road safety and to maintain smooth traffic flow along the expressways.

Keep to the nearside lane of an expressway unless you are heading for an offside exit or you are overtaking another vehicle, and overtake only on the offside of the other vehicle.
Medium goods vehicles, heavy goods vehicles and buses are prohibited from using the offside lane of an expressway where the carriageway has three or more traffic lanes available unless they are heading for an offside exit.
You must not drive on the verge or the central reservation of an expressway except during traffic diversion or vehicle breakdown. The boundary of the verge and central reservation is normally indicated by a continuous white line.
You must not U-turn or reverse your vehicle on an expressway.
You must not stop or park your vehicle on any part of an expressway except for breakdown or emergencies, and in these situations, you must turn on the hazard warning lights, and if possible drive off the carriageway and stop on the verge.
Cyclists and pedestrians are prohibited from using expressways. Wire fences are erected along the boundaries of expressway areas, and you must not climb over or go through these fences.
Learner drivers, public light buses, special purpose vehicles and any vehicle with an engine capacity under 125cc are not allowed to use an expressway, unless prior permission has been obtained from the Commissioner for Transport.
The rules below are generally applicable to trunk roads and those which are designated as expressways:

Vehicles tend to travel faster on expressways and trunk roads. The faster speeds on expressways and trunk roads mean that you need more time for almost every driving action. You need more time to slow down and stop. You need more time to change direction. As with driving on any road, you need to be fit and alert. You need to give yourself bigger margins than on ordinary roads such as more space between your vehicle and the one in front.
When driving on expressways and trunk roads your speed may be higher than you think. Not only may you under estimate the stopping distance for your actual speed but you may easily exceed the speed limit. Although you may feel safe – you must not exceed the speed limit for the expressway or trunk road or for your vehicle. There may be hidden dangers.
Higher noise levels, particularly in wet weather, may prevent other drivers from hearing your horn. Flashing your headlamps is usually a better warning of your presence when one is necessary. Be alert for such a warning yourself.
Change lanes only when there is need. Keep in the middle of the lane you are using and do not let your car wander from side to side or into another lane.
In this chapter you will find rules and advice that will help you drive safely on expressways and trunk roads.

Some of the more important points are:

Making sure you and your vehicle are in good shape – pages 36 and 37.
Joining a dual carriageway – page 73.
Looking well ahead to give yourself more time to react – page 61.
Using headlamps if visibility is reduced – page 77.
Maintaining a safe gap – page 47
Lane discipline and overtaking — pages 49 and 60.
Leaving a dual carriageway – pages 72 and 73.
Emergency stops and telephones – pages 122 and 123.
Keep left unless overtaking – page 63.
Overtake only the right hand side of another vehicle – page 60.
Vehicles may be driven onto or off an expressway only by way of slip roads at intersections – pages 72 and 73.

That bit about Learner cars on expressways: You should go back to the driving school after you pass your test. Then the instructor will take you onto the expressway so you can learn about it.

In other words: You have a full license before you ever get to drive on the expressway, and it's then up to you to learn it yourself. It's all very logical to a gold fish or a piece of wood.

Last edited: