Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong government investigated over planning for electric car roll-out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

araxara

X-LR M3AWD, MYLR
May 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
The Ombudsman has launched an investigation into whether the government could have planned better for the spread of electric cars, as the number of charging ports has nowhere near kept pace with the number of the cars on the city’s roads.
8eec8554-a41d-11e7-84b5-dfc1701cb40c_image_hires_203237.JPG

HK government investigated over planning for electric car roll-out

Formal press release here:

The Ombudsman is now inviting views from members of the public. Views in writing should reach the Office of The Ombudsman by October 30, 2017: Address: 30/F, China Merchants Tower, Shun Tak Centre 168-200 Connaught Road Central, Hong Kong Fax: 2882 8149

From charged.hk's point of view, the following points need to be made to the Ombudsman. We encourage EV owners/drivers/stakeholders, and all members of the public, to make their views known via the published feedback channel.
  1. Waste of public funds regarding ICEing of charging spaces in government car parks
  2. Lack of follow-up on 30% EV/hybrid commitment
  3. Inadequate representation of EV related organisations in the Steering Committee on the Promotion of Electric Vehicles
  4. Relative stagnation of public charger deployment
  5. Loop-holes in regulations for new building "30% EV enabled" program
  6. Lack of legislative/regulatory support for charger installation in existing buildings
Charged.HK welcomes the Ombudsman's involvement with this, and will be preparing (and releasing) a position paper as our submission.

I'd like to propose to add to the scope of the investigation certain "smart" charger operator / utility holding EV users to ransom with an exuberant charging "rental" for select sites exclusively.

If your building has signed an exclusive contract with a particular provider, that is an issue to take up with building management, not the exclusive supplier. The key questions are whether there was any other way to get charging into the building, and did they do a good job negotiation the best deal for tenants?

I feel the pain for these charging network operators trying to start the market. Building Management and Incorporated Owners won't co-operate, and without flexible and smart metering the up-front capital costs are scary. Add on the government's abrupt drop in support (and corresponding drop to near zero of the number of new cars coming onto the market), and it must be incredibly discouraging.

The pricing I've seen looks like capital payback in 2 to 3 years (remember that the provider is paying for everything up-front, and taking the risk). That is pretty conservative. But given the nascent state of the market, I'm not too surprised. It is a shame they weren't more up-front about this, and had a scale where the price dropped after N years of contract (and capital investment had been paid off).

I've just gone through a similar thing, getting Internet Fibre to our building (down 1km of private road). In the end, a dozen or so houses all agreed to pay their share of the capital costs, plus commit to 2 years usage. Despite the high up-front costs, I still think that is the more reasonable approach than bundling the capital costs into the usage costs. But, to be successful that approach requires volume (and that volume may just not be there for EVs in some buildings).

Reactions: Titus
P.S. The Ombudsman is there "to ensure that Hong Kong is served by a fair and efficient public administration which is committed to accountability, openness and quality of service". To oversee government. So, probably little chance in getting them involved in non-Government bodies.

Reactions: Titus