Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hope for Little Rock and Memphis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thx1139

Aug 1, 2014
Lemont, IL
See that a Supercharger is permitted in Sulphur Spring, TX. That looks like the start of a spur from Dallas to Little Rock and then to Memphis. Really no other reason to put another Supercharger around Dallas on that stretch of road. Think we should expect to see permits soon for Texarkana and Little Rock and then soon after Memphis.

For me then we need Sikeston, Missouri

+1 on Sikeston. It connects Memphis to St. Louis, or Effingham and of course points north. I make an annual trip to Oshkosh, WI in the summer and am kinda hoping Sikeston gets installed in time. I usually fly but it would be a nice Tesla trip.

The I-40 corridor would be a huge deal for east-west travel.

Jackson, MS in on the "coming soon." It is at the edge of reasonable range from Memphis, but in range at least in moderate weather of mobile, AL. That means we could finally reach the gulf coast (Destin). Sikeston and Memphis would put the gulf coast in reach for everyone from St Louis and farther north as well.

Just realized I know (indirectly) the owners of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis. Going to try and get them to sign up for the destination charging program ... fingers crossed!

Hope so! Beautiful old hotel, that would be a nice stop. On a trip north in May 2014 I charged at Shelby Farms Park Conservancy in Memphis; very nice place (free, solar powered) but only a J1772 charger so I was there most of the day.

Last edited:
The reply was they would think about it, but that they already had 3 J1772s in the parking garage. They were leaning against, but I presented our case to them. Will see.

I guess if you're spending the night it doesn't make that much difference. I'd like to see more businesses like restaurants or small shopping centers with destination charging, for shorter stops when you don't want to stay overnight.

Hope so! Beautiful old hotel, that would be a nice stop. On a trip north in May 2014 I charged at Shelby Farms Park Conservancy in Memphis; very nice place (free, solar powered) but only a J1772 charger so I was there most of the day.

Hotels put in charging stations to attract overnight guests. J1772s are perfectly adequate for that, even for Teslas. As much as we would like to see HPWCs at hotels, if they already have J1772s they are ahead of the game. Destination charging is really aimed at locations that don't think it makes financial sense to buy charging stations on their own.

I just got the Tesla e-mail invite for The Electric Road Trip. It says events will be "hosted at one of our Destination Charging partner locations" and the location for Memphis is the Peabody Hotel. So -- maybe you did talk them into it.

I got the invite too. When I checked Plugshare for EV accommodations at at the Peabody, I found the following:
---
Mark Jun 16, 2016 4:31 PM
Totally bogus situation. When we called for reservations at the Peabody, we were told that "Tesla chargers" were free. Upon arrival, we find four EV plugs at 25 amps with no other cars charging AND a six cents a minute charge through Blink. Estimated time for a full 85D charge? 24+ hours. Valet parking at $26 a day, plus tip, to even get near the plugs. Upon complaint, the manager shrugs and says "there's nothing we can do."
---
Why would Tesla call Peabody a "Destination Charging partner" when the Peabody treats EV owners that way? Peabody's clearly wants EV owners' money but I see no partner there. That's just shabby.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
I got the invite too. When I checked Plugshare for EV accommodations at at the Peabody, I found the following:
---
Totally bogus situation. When we called for reservations at the Peabody, we were told that "Tesla chargers" were free. Upon arrival, we find four EV plugs at 25 amps with no other cars charging AND a six cents a minute charge through Blink. Estimated time for a full 85D charge? 24+ hours. Valet parking at $26 a day, plus tip, to even get near the plugs. Upon complaint, the manager shrugs and says "there's nothing we can do."
---
Why would Tesla call Peabody a "Destination Charging partner" when the Peabody treats EV owners that way? Peabody's clearly wants EV owners' money but I see no partner there. That's just shabby.
So, as I have stated before I indirectly know the owners of the Peabody. I saw that Plugshare review and forwarded it to them (I forget exactly when but) approximately 2 weeks ago. Maybe that review convinced them to get a new Tesla wall charger? I may be able to find out tomorrow. I did sign up for the Electric Road Trip, Peabody Destination.

---

Yeah, they should have at least 32 amps. This is a legacy of the Nissan Leaf with the Blink network.

Total charge time from empty to full should be about 19 hours. Six cents a minute is insane. These plugs are 5 kW, so $0.72 per kWh. That's pretty high.

Wonder if Arkansas is just making it difficult on Tesla to get started. The Memphis area charger would likely be in Arkansas right across the border. Then you have the Little Rock and if Tesla planning the Texarkana area charger to be in Arkansas then all 3 required to complete a couple of routes are all in Arkansas. Anyone more local to the area have any insight.

Hope springs eternal. It has been 6 months since the first post and Tesla has made no progress on I40 west of Nashville.
I am not happy, because these were "promised" in the 2016 map and only 5 months are left in 2016.

I wonder if Tesla has talked to Cracker Barrel who has multiple potential sites right along I40?

Hope springs eternal. It has been 6 months since the first post and Tesla has made no progress on I40 west of Nashville.
I am not happy, because these were "promised" in the 2016 map and only 5 months are left in 2016.

I wonder if Tesla has talked to Cracker Barrel who has multiple potential sites right along I40?
Lets just hope that they are other SC's that havent been discovered. Like Monroe, LA that although has been talked about no permits were being found and then boom nearly complete SC was found yesterday.

Can anyone recommend a good place to charge in Memphis? There are a couple of HPWC`s listed on PlugShare but the numbers seem to be outdated; one disconnected and the second I got someone who had no idea what I was talking about. I'm planning to drive from Louisiana to southern Indiana next week and will need to charge in Memphis Thursday afternoon or evening. If I could borrow a HPWC that would be great. Or a reliable ChadeMo. PlugShare lists a Nissan dealer a little to the NE and if I can plug in at the hotel that will probably work but I havent confirmed yet if I can do that. Suggestions?

Looking on Plugshare, I see a Hampton Inn in Hernando, MS, South of Memphis. Would work if you were planning an overnight charge there.

There are also THREE Nissan dealers in Memphis vicinity (one is actually in North MS), with CHAdeMO power feeds. Might call them ahead to confirm they will allow you to charge there <if you have the right connector>.

Christian Brothers University has two free J1772 plug located next to Student Life Center.

And there are a couple of RV parks outside Memphis (if you love nature and some outdoor cooking).

Can anyone recommend a good place to charge in Memphis? There are a couple of HPWC`s listed on PlugShare but the numbers seem to be outdated; one disconnected and the second I got someone who had no idea what I was talking about. I'm planning to drive from Louisiana to southern Indiana next week and will need to charge in Memphis Thursday afternoon or evening. If I could borrow a HPWC that would be great. Or a reliable ChadeMo. PlugShare lists a Nissan dealer a little to the NE and if I can plug in at the hotel that will probably work but I havent confirmed yet if I can do that. Suggestions?
If you have a Chademo, there are three Nissan dealers with newer, working Chademo's (as above). Most people I've seen posting, successfully charged especially at Wolfchase Nissan, which is at the intersection of I-40 and Germantown Parkway.

If you don't have a Chademo, I have an 80 amp HPWC .... Don't know about the Hernando Hampton Inn.