Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot air from vents on A/C settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a complete Tesla noob who hasn't received delivery yet, may I ask if this situation can be resolved by leaving A/C setting in "Lo"?

The car will cool the cabin to below 60F, too cold for comfort. Unless you wear a jacket :D jk.
Screenshot_20200829-210900_Tesla.jpg

I just keep AC on at 70F.

So this is also (has been) happening to my car, VIN8XX Mar/2020 build, retrofitted with heat pump blanket Aug 6th, on 2020.32.3.

I tested it tonight inside my garage - garage temp 82°F.

See attached pics.
First I set the temp to 72F, AC on, Auto.
Car cools cabin to 72F.

Set temp to 73, still cool air. Fan at 4.
Set temp to 74, still cool air. Fan at 4.

Set temp to 75, garage temp at 82F.
Pump/Air blower blasts hot air (red) at Fan 6.

My car turns the heater (blows hot air) at 75F onwards regardless of outside temp.
View attachment 582288 View attachment 582289 View attachment 582290 View attachment 582291 View attachment 582292 View attachment 582293 View attachment 582294

This seems to substantiate a software treatment of the situation. 'On paper', it would look like a good idea to introduce 'hot' air in order to raise up the temperature faster, but of course in reality that doesn't feel good whereas a gradual warming of the air would take longer to bring up the inside ambient temperature.
For me the odd temporary blast of hot air seems to have gone away on 2020.32.3, but again am not driving much. Hopefully they'll smooth this out soon.

This is still happening to me on 2020.32.3. If I keep the auto at 72, it seems to work fine and never blows hot air. Once I put it to 73, it will start changing the settings (turns on lower air) and then blowing hot air.

This EXACT thing is happening to our brand new Model Y. Noticed it the day we drove the car home from the dealer. At 73 or 74, the ac blows warm air from the perf ot the dash vents that blows upwards, turn the AC down to 72 and we feel cold AC blowing. But, turnip up one or two degrees to 73 and/or 74 and we feel warm air blowing. My Y isn an early build 2021 (VIN 60,3xx). Heard it's a software related issue. However, I did bring it into my local service center twice.......they tested it and said it's performing fine and normal. Trust me...I own a 3 for two years now....it's not normal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: philw1776
Not an issue, it's a feature. I think other threads mentioned turning down the fan to control comfort level instead of turning the temp up, especially above about 70F. Probably something that can easily be added with a software update to NOT change the "mode" of AC to maintain temperature...
It’s definitely NOT a feature.

Mine has done this twice now. Late 2018 Model 3.

92 degrees outside. A/C on at 72.

Suddenly blows full heat, max fan. A/C keeps running.

Car almost undrivable. Have to open all windows immediately, and it’s still ridiculously hot.

Just returned from the Service Center.

They have zero clue as to what the problem is.

If this can’t be corrected, I’m selling the car.

Outrageous.

Everyone says nice products, terrible service. Now I see what they mean.

• Informative
Reactions: philw1776