TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Hot Roof headliner on Solid Roof

Discussion in 'Model S' started by YauKwan, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

I have a solid roof. I was told it was better for cold and hot weather in keeping the heat in during winter and not letting the heat in during summer.

Winter passed and was fine, heat worked well enough.

We're in the midst of a heat wave, and its weird. Sitting in the driver seat, i feel a heat draft coming from the back of the car. Im 6'0" so i sit very close to the ceiling of the car.

When i touch the ceiling, i can feel that the front area is not hot, but the rear passenger ceiling area is on FIRE.

has anyone else experienced this? Am i missing some insulation somewhere?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW I have a 2013 S85 multi-coat red with the solid roof and original fabric (not Alcantara) headliner. Even in 90+ degree heat, and baking sun, I have not noticed any appreciable 'radiant heat'.

3. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

OP do you think the heat is being generated off of the liftgate window? When parked with the rear of the car facing the sun I know there's a lot of heat generated from the glass there. Thinking maybe the heat spreads forward and heats up the roof ceiling as time goes on. There's really no good air circulation in the rear at that point unlike the windshield area with the vents up front.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Are you sure the heat is actually coming from the roof or could it be possible the heat is coming from the rear hatch glass that has indirectly heated the ceiling?

Of course your car is black which is the worst color for heat absorption and not helping the situation.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Anything sitting in the sun during a heatwave is going to get hot.

6. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

Silver solid roof with standard headliner in Texas here and I have never noticed the roof being hot. I do have Pinnacle UV protection tint on all windows though so that may help limit radiant heating a bit.

7. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

i also have tinted windows all around. So it shouldnt be the liftgate window, but i'll check later today.

i found there to be a dip area in the front ceiling that seems cool to the touch. The rear ceiling area protrudes into the cabin is the area that is super hot.

If no other owner is experiencing this, i'll bring her into the service center. Maybe i'll get the silky smooth upgrade.

• Funny x 1