Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV sticker before PPF or other coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I received my HOV stickers. I haven't done any PPF protection yet. Thinking about it but couldn't decide what to do. I still have some paint and alignment issues to be fixed by Tesla.

Would it be ok to apply my HOV stickers and get the rest done later?

Appreciate your input.

...Would it be ok to apply my HOV stickers and get the rest done later?...

If those stickers are meant to be permanent, then it makes sense to stick them on first and have other layers of protection on after to seal the deal.

However, if those stickers will expire some day and will need to be peel off in the future, then it makes sense to apply them last.

Nope, PPF first then get more ppf for the stickers so they don't ruin your ppf.

If your not going to ppf the rear you could probably squeek by with those until you do the front. But still, it is best to use ppf to apply them to your paint as well.

Stickers leave foil "voids" when removed.

Reactions: destructure00
Nope, PPF first then get more ppf for the stickers so they don't ruin your ppf.

If your not going to ppf the rear you could probably squeek by with those until you do the front. But still, it is best to use ppf to apply them to your paint as well.

Stickers leave foil "voids" when removed.

Total agreement here from me. Those HOV decals are so hard to remove when applied directly to paint. I made that mistake on our 2016 Volt. They expired at the beginning of the year and I wanted to remove them. Ended up having to buy a heat gun and goo gone to help remove the "voids" left over. What a mess !

Thanks for the advice. This PPF thing has caused too much stress. I wish things were simple

I was in your same situation. My car had several paint defects that required panels to be resprayed to correct. I was told by the body shop to let the paint cure for 30 days. I took delivery on 12/5/18, had to wait until 2/18/19 for paint repair and then 30 days after the 2 week body shop visit. Finally getting ppf applied on 4/2/19. Originally had planned on getting only the front wrapped, but eventually decided on getting the whole car covered in ppf.

I was in your same situation. My car had several paint defects that required panels to be resprayed to correct. I was told by the body shop to let the paint cure for 30 days. I took delivery on 12/5/18, had to wait until 2/18/19 for paint repair and then 30 days after the 2 week body shop visit. Finally getting ppf applied on 4/2/19. Originally had planned on getting only the front wrapped, but eventually decided on getting the whole car covered in ppf.

I am in the same boat. Where did they have you do paint correction? Tesla is sending me to a BMW body shop in the east bay and unsure of the quality, I am sitting on it.

Did you apply hov sticker or waiting for ppf to complete?

I am in the same boat. Where did they have you do paint correction? Tesla is sending me to a BMW body shop in the east bay and unsure of the quality, I am sitting on it.

Did you apply hov sticker or waiting for ppf to complete?

If Tesla is sending you to Weatherford BMW in Berkeley, I believe they are an authorized Tesla Approved body shop. I have heard good things about their quality of work. Since I'm in Sacramento, I went to Kniesel's Collision in Rocklin. They did an awesome job, especially with color matching. My only issue with them is the long wait because they are very busy and service all the way to Reno, NV.

My ppf installer is placing the HOV decals on a separate piece of ppf, which will be installed on top of the ppf of the car.

I would really think twice about applying those HOV decals directly to the paint. They are a mess to remove after they expire.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
If Tesla is sending you to Weatherford BMW in Berkeley, I believe they are an authorized Tesla Approved body shop. I have heard good things about their quality of work. Since I'm in Sacramento, I went to Kniesel's Collision in Rocklin. They did an awesome job, especially with color matching. My only issue with them is the long wait because they are very busy and service all the way to Reno, NV.

My ppf installer is placing the HOV decals on a separate piece of ppf, which will be installed on top of the ppf of the car.

I would really think twice about applying those HOV decals directly to the paint. They are a mess to remove after they expire.

My referral is to BMW Concord.

Can you share why you decided on full vs front ppf? What's the cost difference? Any shop recommendations?

My referral is to BMW Concord.

Can you share why you decided on full vs front ppf? What's the cost difference? Any shop recommendations?

BMW Concord is also a Tesla Approved Body Shop. A mobile Tesla Tech told me the qualification process is very strict, so they don't just approve anybody. Haven't heard anything about Concord though, only Weatherford BMW in Berkeley.

IMHO, the paint just doesn't seem as durable (compared to other cars I have owned, including our 2016 Volt) and scratches easily. This is why I decided to go full ppf as opposed to just the front. Tesla Mobile tech told me it's most likely due to the paint required by CA's environmental laws. Body shop owner who was repairing a rock chip on my NSX said the water based paints that CA requires are also harder to color match.

I got quotes from 4 different ppf shops and they were all within the same ballpark of each other with respect to price and packages. The one problem you may encounter is a lot of the shops are booked in advance installing ppf on Model 3s.

Reactions: kms3