Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will peeling off failed ppf damage the original paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I am planning to DIY ppf for my MY. Just for in case, if the project fails, I will have to peel it off. My question is, will peeling off ppf damage the original paint on my MY? Although I never had any ppf before, I don't worry about the failure of applying ppf, my concern is if I have to undo it, peeling off will damage the original paint.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
oldcotton

I would think the answer that applies most is “it depends.”

How good or bad the paint adhesion (to the metal) is.

How strong the PPF adhesion is.

And, how long the PPF has been on.

I think if you’re thinking of redoing a failed application quickly, then it’s likely fine because it should take a while to cure. So if you peel it off before it fully cures, it should come off more easily than if it had been on for years or something.

Reactions: oldcotton
In January of this year I traded M3 for a MYP; before taking it to the service dept,I removed all the hood and bumper PPF. The material had been on circa 4 years. Use a 32oz bootle of water with about eight drops of baby shampoo. Start from the bumper edges applying the solution as you peel back. Paint was not impacted. I bought a DIY PPF front bumper for my Y. Use rapid tac sold on Amazon..it’s the best for eliminating bubbles. Plenty of vids on the internet on how to do. Taking your time,proper lighting,and clean environment works best.

I don't know about old PPF removal because I have not tried it. I did use hot water on towel to soften up the PPF to redo my hood. I also used a hot water soaked towel to remove the high impact PPF that came stock on my 2022 MSLR. That pre-installed PPF was probably a week old. If I were to take off old PPF, I would also use a hot water soaked towel. I do not think you need to worry about pulling off your paint. But like someone else said, do some YouTube research. Even go to your local installer and ask them how they do it. My hat's off to all who will take on the task of DIY PPF. I did my whole car two years ago without ever having done it before. DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S