Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how am I losing 10mi worth of charge over night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2month old M3 LR-RWD. Sits in a garage in northern California overnight, unplugged. Weather during the drive home is clear/dry, temp about 65. Ovenight low is maybe 50...it's t-shirt weather basically all the time right now.

I notice, pretty consistently, that the miles-estimate the next morning is ~10 miles less than it was when I parked it the night before. How can I figure out where it's going??

because I can charge it for free @ work.

surely there's a ton of valid reasons why it might not be plugged in overnight, right? As it happens, the X is plugged in overnight in the same garage and that's already enough to trip the circuit breaker occasionally (have to get someone out to install the 240 still).

regardless...it IS sitting in a 50-70 degree garage all night, just sitting there. and something's consuming a few KWH <shrug>. I grabbed TeslaFi. We'll see what it shows.

The Model 3 will lose range even if it is asleep. There is a small DC DC converter inside the main pack that supplies the ICE with power directly. 10 miles is a bit much. Honestly, they should be able to improve these losses quite a bit. @wk057 did a sleep test with a Model X about a year ago and it only lost 2 miles over 1 week.

My stress levels related to the car's range & vampire drain have reduced dramatically since I switches the battery display to show percentage instead of range. Every morning it says 79-80%. If I want to know my predicted range, I open the energy graph app.

Reactions: TT97 and Limit X