Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How anal should we be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Tesla yesterday and I am fairly anal about my cars but I am also aware that these reps have hundreds of deliveries they need to go to each day. I didn't want them sitting around while I go over every single spec of the car. The only major flaw I saw during my quick look over was the spoiler not being flush and rear seat lock being broken which they fixed as I waited an hour. I took the car home and wanted to do another detailed look over and I found a few things that I was wondering if I should address.

1. The steering wheel has what feels like excess material where it comes together on the stitching. Don't know how to explain it, but it feels like a "bubble" of extra material.
2. At first glance I didn't see anything wrong with the paint, but I found this one "drip" on the driver side door (see attached photos)
3. Chrome trim on rear passenger side doesn't seem to be aligned right
4. I think this is the major one, the rear bump needs to be realigned. On the pictures I show, this is passenger side, but on the driver side, I can see the bumper clips if you look at it from a specific angle

Do you think the above are all reasonable to schedule to be fixed?

Attachments

• IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4475.JPG
    IMG_4475.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 97
I'd bet they will fix it all. Anyway, being particular while polite helps Tesla raise the game.
I've had tiny issues with both of mine and both times they took care of me quickly and well.
Mine were even more minor than yours. The bumper, though, really is not good even though it will probably take only a short time to reset.

Once you took the car home, it would be a lot harder to get them to fix little things. My coworker found a lot of curb rash on one of the wheel. He told them about it at delivery and they said they will send out mobile tech to replace the wheel. It took 2 months.

And the list you have so far, I agree with @DrtyJrze that they will probably say they are "within spec".

The run on the door edge appears to be in the clear coat. They can probably finesse it out with a bit of wet sanding. If so, you will never know it was there. I owned and ran a body shop in a previous life. My advice is to let them try that. It will be superior to a spot repair involving refinishing. The other adjustments appear minor. Enjoy your new car.

Reactions: jboy210
3. Chrome trim on rear passenger side doesn't seem to be aligned right

This is an easy DIY fix if you don't want to wait for service. I've pulled my chrome trim off a few times already. If you open the rear door, you can gently lift up on the chrome trim from the inside. Once it starts to lift, slowly lift a little bit of the trim at a time, as I've heard it can be easily bent. It's a lot easier than removing the dash panel......

The only major flaw I saw during my quick look over was the spoiler not being flush and rear seat lock being broken which they fixed as I waited an hour.

My 3 Performance was not delivered with the rear spoiler (or the Dual Motor badge) and I waited 9 months to get one that properly fit. They test fitted 16 rear spoilers (over a 3 month period) to my car before they found one they thought would not lift after being installed. Several had gaps so large at the ends, that two quarters taped together could slide through the gap. Nor Cal Mobile Service told me if you make an appointment because your rear spoiler is lifting, they will replace it with a new one.

My 3 Performance was not delivered with the rear spoiler (or the Dual Motor badge) and I waited 9 months to get one that properly fit. They test fitted 16 rear spoilers (over a 3 month period) to my car before they found one they thought would not lift after being installed. Several had gaps so large at the ends, that two quarters taped together could slide through the gap. Nor Cal Mobile Service told me if you make an appointment because your rear spoiler is lifting, they will replace it with a new one.
The 16 spoilers part had me laugh out loud. Thank you for that.

The 16 spoilers part had me laugh out loud. Thank you for that.

I know when I bought my car 3rdQ 2018 Performance models were not being delivered with spoilers, and AWDs were being delivered without Dual Motor badging. The DM badging came a little bit after but I know the spoilers took a really long time based on posts here of people waiting. My guess is who ever was supplying them the parts they were finding the spoilers weren't fitting properly with the cars. 16 sounds excessive to try to install but guess they didn't give up.

I had similar issues that my local service center gladly fixed after the fact.

I had three clear coat paint runs that I chose to fix myself, but the chrome/door misalignment and front bumper/hood/fender misalignment they gladly fixed.

I scheduled a service appointment three days after delivery, and it was fixed two weeks later during the actual appointment. In my case, I was fortunate that the alignment issues only required minor adjustments.