Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are you using autopilot?

During autopilot, where do you usually put your right foot?

• Hovered over the break - so I can jump

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Leaned against the side of the footwell

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Flat on the bottom of the foot well

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When autopilot is on, I find that I'm still hover my foot over the pedals - is that what most people do? Or do you folks trust autopilot enough to completely sit back?

I just rest my foot on the right side of the footwell. In this position, it's an easy movement to the brake or the accelerator. I find I rarely have to do this, especially on the freeway, but it's important to note that AP is not yet developed to the point you can just sit back and completely trust it. If it were, you could just curl up in the back and take a nap.

Hello Tesl World

I have been driving my MX for about 6 weeks and crossed 2k miles. This is my first post. Some of the observations I made on AP are:

1. It doesn't detect or avoid debris or potholes
2. It doesn't detect or avoid partial lane closures nor shift within lane for broader adjacent vehicles that may encroach your lane space at same or similar speed.
3. It's scary when passing some of the flyover pillars or temporary construction blocks (especially when traveling in HOV lanes that are pretty narrow e.g. I 405 corridor)
4. It prefers the left most lane if the lane I drive splits into two (I405 N exit from I5 North)
5. It does unnecessarily slow or break when the lane ahead is clear but some vehicle moves into the adjacent lane (either left or right) which frustrates and it appears to others as though I am a crazy or a learner driver causing strange looks from the passing drivers.
6. At times in traffic situations, I disable TACC to gain better regen by coasting rather than braking that wastes some of the energy

As I said I am novice but welcome criticism and advice alike