Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How big is your dashcam drive & how many days does it take to fill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't the car record a video clip every time someone walks past the car in a parking lot? I would have thought that it would have the potential of filling up pretty fast. Now I understand it overwrites older data so it never really "fills up", but if a person were to leave it parked a few days on sentry mode I can imagine getting a huge number of nonsense video clips....
So I guess I'm asking... is part of the answer to the OP's question dependent on time and use? Someone parking at at airport lot for 2 week periods would need a lot more archive space than someone that always parks at home in the garage and rarely goes out.

64gb Samsung Pro Endurance microSD. Have thought about upgrading to a larger capacity. However, honestly, in a full year of ownership/use, I have never felt that I missed or lost an important video event because of the smaller storage capacity. I would probably feel differently if I either lived in the city with street parking and/or if my daily routine required me to drive & park in multiple public locations throughout a given day. In the above scenario, the number of sentry mode or other important event recordings would go way up... which means a larger capacity drive would probably be needed. Fortunately, I don’t think my current driving & parking habits require anything larger than a 64gb drive. I’ve always wondered how many days of recording I get with a 64gb drive, before it starts to over-write itself. Not sure if there is an easy way to determine this...

128GB.... prior to being able to access videos in-car I'd pull it out every 3-4 months to clean it out and it was never more than 1/3-1/2 full.... This was with roughly 9-10 hours of recording a day and a few sentry events each day when parked at work.... anything bigger seems massive overkill unless you park someplace crazy busy that gets dozens and dozens of sentry events daily.

I have a question that probably has an obvious answer... but do you periodically take your drive to a computer to check videos on it? Am I just supposed to know when there's a suspicious Sentry mode recording? Or take it in when I feel like I need dash cam footage?

I'm awaiting my delivery still and just wondering how this works.

I have a question that probably has an obvious answer... but do you periodically take your drive to a computer to check videos on it? Am I just supposed to know when there's a suspicious Sentry mode recording? Or take it in when I feel like I need dash cam footage?

You don't need to do that anymore. A firmware update allows you to view the videos in the car.

When you return to your car there is a pop up on the screen saying something like "3 sentry mode events". If you click on the notification it will open up and play the recording for you.

The notification is not very useful though. It is just a motion sensor trigger so if you park in a public place there will be a few events nearly 100% of the time. If nothing else when you approach the car you will trigger it when the car sees you but you are not yet within unlocking range. It can also be triggered by dancing shadows - if I have it on in my home garage, it will accumulate several hundred events over the course of the day.

I've never had anyone actually vandalize the car and set off the car alarm, so I am not sure if there is a more urgent looking message