Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I lock the ride height in Standard at all times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to lock the MX in Standard height while driving? On highways it defaults to Low height and I have to reset it to Standard. It's wearing the rear tires on the inside even if they are aligned. Tesla service wasn't helpful. I just want to set the height in Standard and not have to deal with it every time I get on highways. Any other ideas on this?

Reactions: bizi
Tesla recommends Low now, to prevent half shaft damage related to the 'shudder' problem, across the board. Supposedly they are doing alignment in Low as well, so other threads here suggest you should not see tire wear due to ride height in Low assuming re-alignment has been done. Probably why they are not really helpful on setting to Standard.

I had some trouble with ride height staying where I set it as well, so maybe others have advice to your question. Make sure 'Always Lower' is turned off and set above your highway speed. It is supposed to remember GPS locations for ride height as well, which seemed to be part of my problem, but I did not see how to forget height settings driving around my home area that I might have set while experimenting.

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
Supposedly they are doing alignment in Low as well
My service center still insists this can't be done. More to the point, though, the camber is not adjustable, so it really doesn't matter where the alignment is done, which implies someone is just paying lipservice if they suggest that. To the OP's concern, though, do newer models not have the "automatic lowering" setting which can be set to "Always," a range of MPH, or "Never"? Last I checked, mine was still on "Never" but it's possible I haven't looked for it since v11 or something.

My service center still insists this can't be done. More to the point, though, the camber is not adjustable, so it really doesn't matter where the alignment is done, which implies someone is just paying lipservice if they suggest that. To the OP's concern, though, do newer models not have the "automatic lowering" setting which can be set to "Always," a range of MPH, or "Never"? Last I checked, mine was still on "Never" but it's possible I haven't looked for it since v11 or something.
You have to get camber and tow arms from www.N2itive.me

So my Tesla service centre has agreed to set the ideal camber on the tyres for low setting as I do mainly motorway driving and rear tyres were wearing excessively on the inside. The wear also left a sawtooth pattern on the tyres. I.e if you run your hand one way it feels smooth and the other way you feel ridges. I went in to see the due to excessive non shudder related vibration. ( have had front CV joints replaced 3 times on the left and twice on the right, which is now ready for replacement again) Conclusion on vibration was that rear motor out of balance and they are replacing it on the warranty. Hoping that combination of new tyres, setting camber to ideal for low, new rear motor, new front right CV join will result in a car that does not meet front CV/drive shaft replaced every 4000 -6000 miles… anyone else with similar issues?

My experience:
Tesla service center Santa Barbara said:
- Don't drive an X in Low suspension mode, it will create extreme inner tire wear.
- Instead, floor the car in Standard suspension mode, and they will continue to keep replacing the half shafts and clevis mounts under warranty, if they shudder.
- I asked them to do alignment on the car in Low suspension mode, and they refused. They said alignment is in standard suspension mode only.
When my warranty expires, I might get the n2itive kit to lower the X, and align it in low suspension mode.

So my Tesla service centre has agreed to set the ideal camber on the tyres for low setting as I do mainly motorway driving and rear tyres were wearing excessively on the inside. The wear also left a sawtooth pattern on the tyres. I.e if you run your hand one way it feels smooth and the other way you feel ridges. I went in to see the due to excessive non shudder related vibration. ( have had front CV joints replaced 3 times on the left and twice on the right, which is now ready for replacement again) Conclusion on vibration was that rear motor out of balance and they are replacing it on the warranty. Hoping that combination of new tyres, setting camber to ideal for low, new rear motor, new front right CV join will result in a car that does not meet front CV/drive shaft replaced every 4000 -6000 miles… anyone else with similar issues?
So sorry you went through all that, a company called N2ITIVE solved this double edged sword. Too Low? wear the inner rear tires to shreds IF you run bigger wheels, or stock 21"s .. too high? continual life long failures to front axles due to all that torque creating load on the angle of the axle.. bring the lower than the lowest stock and upgrade the tow and camber arms and its SOLVED..