Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride height calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the prompt response. Regretfully, West Palm Beach, FL is on the opposite side of the country :(

I've done a ton of work with ride height on race cars during set up so I have a high level of confidence I can come up with a snap gage to get the job done. My curiosity surrounds access to the ride height calibration functionality.

You need the Ethernet cable a laptop and a one day subscription to toolbox 3 if it’s an older refresh the first ones needed a multiplex converter box

If you do the math with shop rates at $250 hr. the $163 dollar day use of the toolbox 3 is a bargain

Last edited:
2018 X here. If the car looks level, but the green letter in service mode says 4 corners are 7mm, 4mm, 4mm, and 1mm. Does it mean that calibration is needed, or it’s fine? Appreciate your input!

Attachments

• IMG_8222.jpeg
    IMG_8222.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 43
2018 X here. If the car looks level, but the green letter in service mode says 4 corners are 7mm, 4mm, 4mm, and 1mm. Does it mean that calibration is needed, or it’s fine? Appreciate your input!
You would need the ride height tool to measure the height ..so after going to highs setting and back to Normal height it should be 258mm up front and 189mm in the rear -10 mm meaning you can be lower but not higher than that reading at normal height.. you dont know if those readings are good intill you check it and than do the math - or plus

Hi thanks for this information greatly appreciated. My mechanic replaced most of the suspension components and everything went well. he advised I go to Tesla for the final calibration since he does not have access to the scan tool. Is he correct on advising this? Thanks for any input.

Hey posters! I came across this thread and was hoping I could get some feedback. My 21k mile 2019 MX Raven seems to be riding low on the back wheels. I keep the suspension in low at all times (in auto mode), and ive been noticing that when looking at the car from the outside, the front is visually higher than the rear. Ive been paying attention to refresh models and they seem to have even gaps in the wheel arches.

Also, when going over speed bumps the rear will often hit the bump stops. I asked service about this around a year ago (when I was still under warranty), and they said it was normal.

Does it sound normal? The suspension info will often show the rear sitting lower than the front, but if I raise up to medium and back to low, the measurement is even all around. I don't think its the air springs or compressor.

Id rather not spend $ and time on a service appointment if it's not going to change anything. After raising to normal and back to low, the suspension says its -0.79in at all 4 corners, but from the outside the front has larger gap in the wheel well by 1-2" (visual measurement).

I figured that if the calibration is off, the car might still show an even height at all 4 corners even if the ride hight is actually uneven

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Edit: I also see that calibration is supposed to be done before an alignment. Does everyone really get their cars aligned at Tesla (since 99% of other shops wont have the "toolbox")? Ive been going to Firestone since they have lifetime alignment for half the price of a singe Tesla alignment

Last edited:
Hey posters! I came across this thread and was hoping I could get some feedback. My 21k mile 2019 MX Raven seems to be riding low on the back wheels. I keep the suspension in low at all times (in auto mode), and ive been noticing that when looking at the car from the outside, the front is visually higher than the rear. Ive been paying attention to refresh models and they seem to have even gaps in the wheel arches.

Also, when going over speed bumps the rear will often hit the bump stops. I asked service about this around a year ago (when I was still under warranty), and they said it was normal.

Does it sound normal? The suspension info will often show the rear sitting lower than the front, but if I raise up to medium and back to low, the measurement is even all around. I don't think its the air springs or compressor.

Id rather not spend $ and time on a service appointment if it's not going to change anything. After raising to normal and back to low, the suspension says its -0.79in at all 4 corners, but from the outside the front has larger gap in the wheel well by 1-2" (visual measurement).

I figured that if the calibration is off, the car might still show an even height at all 4 corners even if the ride hight is actually uneven

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Edit: I also see that calibration is supposed to be done before an alignment. Does everyone really get their cars aligned at Tesla (since 99% of other shops wont have the "toolbox")? Ive been going to Firestone since they have lifetime alignment for half the price of a singe Tesla alignment
The measurements can be off mine were ..but you need the ride height tool and a 4 post lift to make an accurate measurement to verify the sensor is giving the correct data to the ecu.. I have raven suspension and my front suspension was too high. After adjustment the half shafts got 38,000 miles on them and still going strong with no noise at std level

Last edited:
The measurements can be off mine were ..but you need the ride height tool and a 4 post lift to make an accurate measurement to verify the sensor is giving the correct data to the ecu.. I have raven suspension and my front suspension was too high. After adjustment the half shafts got 38,000 miles on them and still going strong with no noise at std level
So you did the calibration yourself? And does your X look level now, with equal wheel-well gaps front and back?

This got me a little tired, but I still got my 2017 MX straight as far as the wheel arches are concerned. I reset and entered measurements, but it didn't help. I had to slightly adjust the measurements taken and in the end the body was straight and the four points below were within tolerance. But I still don’t understand what “Measured height (TAS) and Measured height (Technician)” are??? And it’s still unclear what the relevel_request_to_default_ride_height option is???

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2024-04-10 в 21.17.26.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-10 в 21.17.26.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Снимок экрана 2024-04-10 в 21.43.26.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-10 в 21.43.26.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 3