Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How dangerous is it to drive with low tread depth to Lake Tahoe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

We have a Tahoe trip all planned tomorrow and being a car n00b, I've only realized tonight that our model S's tires are pretty worn. The front tires are probably about 2.5/32'', and the rear tires are about 7/32'' for one and maybe 3.5/32'' for the other. The good tire was previously replaced by Tesla due to damage. We have ~25k mileage.

We live in the bay area so going to drive through Sacramento to north lake tahoe and stay there until Friday. It seems from weather report that it'll mostly be sunny, and there currently isn't any chain control.

Getting our tires replaced tomorrow morning seems pretty impossible (nobody carries 245/45R19 and Tesla service center appointments are 2 weeks out), so what do you guys think? Should we cancel the trip, or would it be reasonable to assume roads are dry, and drive it like a Toyota?

Thanks!

Bald tires on a $100k car with a 5-star safety crash rating? :( If it were me, I’d never put myself or loved ones through a real life crash test. There is simply no trip worth risking one’s personal safety if you know you have unsafe tires. If you’ve found spots that low/bald, you may very well have unseen spots on the inside that are showing steel wires (unless you’ve religiously rotated your tires every 5k miles). What happens if you have a blowout in an area without cell service? Please rent a Tesla on TURO (or any car with good rubber). You lose significant control (e.g., emergency braking, turning) when you have that little rubber. Please don’t take that risk.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but you should definitely replace your tires before any major trip. The typical advice (Consumer Reports, Tire Rack, etc) is 4/32, and 3 of your four tires are below that. 2.5 is *way* past safe-in-adverse-conditions.

Reactions: 2012MS85
OP used the words “probably, about and maybe”” when describing the tread depth. That makes me think there may very well be one or more spots with even less rubber than the eye can see. I operate commercial vehicles, which the DOT removes from service for good reason when you hit 4/32. If there is ANY chance of precipitation in the mountains, driving on poor tires is simply a really bad decision. Why risk it?

Reactions: tccartier
OP used the words “probably, about and maybe”” when describing the tread depth. That makes me think there may very well be one or more spots with even less rubber than the eye can see. I operate commercial vehicles, which the DOT removes from service for good reason when you hit 4/32. If there is ANY chance of precipitation in the mountains, driving on poor tires is simply a really bad decision. Why risk it?
4/32 on the steers
2/32 on everything else

Op try giving America’s Tire a call, they might have that size tire in stock
Some might even be able to source the tires same day. I hit a pothole with my 21s that caused a nasty bump on the sidewall, America’s Tire were able to get me 2 tires same day from a few nearby stores

And @AMPd - thanks! We'll give them a call tomorrow morning as well - the Tesla tires seem pretty rare for people to have in stock (Costco for example doesn't have it). Did you also have America's Tire install it (I've heard stories about third-party installers not being good with Teslas)?

And @AMPd - thanks! We'll give them a call tomorrow morning as well - the Tesla tires seem pretty rare for people to have in stock (Costco for example doesn't have it). Did you also have America's Tire install it (I've heard stories about third-party installers not being good with Teslas)?
Yep America’s Tire installed them.
I’ve used them 5 times now and haven’t had a problem
It’s just tires, Tesla aren’t anything special in that regard

I used the Roseville CA America’s tire, since you’ll be passing by Sacramento and Roseville you can give them a call and that’ll give them a few hours to find the tires
That way they’ll have them ready to go and you won’t be waiting too long
When I came in with my 2 bad tires I had to wait 6 hours, most of that was waiting for the tires to be picked up from nearby stores
So if you can call ahead I’m sure that’ll save you time

Glad you’re trying to get fresh tires on before the trip. I can tell you the car (my Model S anyway) gets super squirrelly in the rain when the tread is down to 3/32nds or so. On the freeway, any standing water (not big puddles) caused the rear end to float and break traction easily.