Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tread wear / camber question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I am running Continental DWS06+ on my Model Y 19" wheels. They have about 7800 miles on them and they've been great. I drive pretty conservatively and run 38-40 PSI. I just took some tread wear measurements:

Fronts: 10/32 outside; 9/32 middle; 8/32 inside
Rears: 9/32 outside; 8/32 middle; 7/32 inside

So the tread wear is consistent across all the tires, just a little more worn on the insides (the fronts are more like 8.5/32 on the inside). The DWS06 come with 10/32, so the outsides have almost no wear, especially the fronts.

1) Does the 2/32 inside/outside difference seem excessive? I understand the car has a negative camber from the factory, 0.5 degree front and 1 degree rear (non-adjustable) which will cause more inside wear. Just couldn't find what others have reported as a typical inside/outside depth difference.

2) Do you guys recommend getting a rotation even though I'm only at 1/32 difference in front/rears?

Tesla SC did an alignment about a year ago after a drive unit replacement, so I would be surprised if the alignment is off. I'd like to avoid giving an SC my car if possible. I got my tires at Discount Tire so I'll be taking it there for rotations. According to DT's website, some of their locations do alignments... has anyone here had DT do a Tesla alignment?

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 101
Find a good suspension shop for your alignment. Ask for before and after measurements.

I'm at 44k miles, 35k with Mountain Pass Performance coilovers, and the installer did a 4-wheel alignment. I have ZERO issues with uneven tire wear.

Edit: I should add that the MPP coilovers have a 1/2 inch drop...

Last edited:
Reactions: Benito1283
^^^
Tires are slightly under inflated. Should be 42 lbs all around when cold.See the sticker on the drivers door.
My understanding is under-inflation would cause both inside and outside edges to wear faster than the middle. A lot of people prefer a few lbs under the recommended for a softer ride and I haven’t seen any reports of resulting uneven tire wear.

I’m going to scope out a shop to do an alignment and see what they say.

^^^
Tires are slightly under inflated. Should be 42 lbs all around when cold.See the sticker on the drivers door.

Underinflation has nothing to do with wear on one edge. In 2018, when people complained about the harsh ride of the model 3, Elon said that 39 psi was only a lost of 2%. Others in this forum have proven that mid to upper 30's is just fine when you don't have a loaded vehicle.

I re-measured the tread a little closer to the shoulders and the insides are actually almost the same as the outsides, maybe 1/32 less at the most.

The inside half of the tread on the DWS isn’t the same is the outside half. It seems there’s a section towards the inside that has slightly shallower tread depth than the rest of the tire. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If your car drives straight and you're happy with it, there's no reason to get an alignment. My MYP has the same 2/32" difference on the inside/outside of the rear tires too.

They can't change the camber, so the inside/outside wear of the tires is not something you can change. Rears wear faster on Teslas. Everything you said adds up to what seems like a totally normal car to me. Seems like you'll probably get 20-25K out of this set of tires (2/32"), which isn't terrible. Rotation can't hurt as long as there's a difference between front/rear. Though I might wait until another 1/32" shaves off the rear if you're paying someone for the rotation and not DIY'ing it.

If your car drives straight and you're happy with it, there's no reason to get an alignment.

They can't change the camber, so the inside/outside wear of the tires is not something you can change. Rears wear faster on Teslas. Everything you said adds up to what seems like a totally normal car to me. Seems like you'll probably get 20-25K out of this set of tires (2/32"), which isn't terrible. Rotation can't hurt as long as there's a difference between front/rear. Though I might wait until another 1/32" shaves off the rear if you're paying someone for the rotation and not DIY'ing it.
Awesome, appreciate the feedback and glad to hear it’s probably fine. Car tracks perfectly straight. I thought there might be a toe out issue, but that seems like the tread would be wearing heavy right around the shoulder. Nothing like that going on. I’ll wait a few more thousand miles and rotate them 👍🏻.