Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I know if my car is powered off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to fit scan my tesla, and as such you need to power the car off to fit the OBD2 cable. I’ve done the open doors, dont sit down, power off from the screen thing and the next step is to wait until you hear clicking and louder click as the car closes down. Thing is I don’t hear a loud audible click when I do it.

So since I am reluctant to risk it, is there a way of telling for sure as not keen on frying the electronics by the car not powering off properly

About 5 months ago you could hit that power off button and the car would immediately switch off.
Now it continues to make noises for about 40 minutes, initially I set up a service request but was told it was normal behaviour.
Good luck, would love to know more about what you’re doing.

You don't need to power down the car to plug in the OBD cable. In the S & X it plugs into the end of a diagnostic connector that's not otherwise connected to anything. In the 3 & Y you are disconnecting the center console 12v and the security module that validates keys/cards/bluetooth just for a minute until you insert the splitter harness. As long as your car is in park and the door is open (which is pretty much needed to get back there), there is no issue and no errors. I've done it dozens and dozens of times.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.