Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear bumper damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will only matter if you need parts. Are these recommended places certified by Tesla? If they are they're as good as going to Tesla itself.
Why is that? Any body shop can order parts for the car. Tesla doesn’t block otc purchases. <on non restricted parts>
OP- Take it to a local body shop(or call them), ask them what they think and if they’ve dealt with one before. You’ll get actual info from the horse’s mouth.

Why is that? Any body shop can order parts for the car. Tesla doesn’t block otc purchases. <on non restricted parts>
OP- Take it to a local body shop(or call them), ask them what they think and if they’ve dealt with one before. You’ll get actual info from the horse’s mouth.
Body parts are restricted. User serviceable parts are available, but try to get the rear quarter panel. Even the authorized shops have to wait.

I took mine to a body shop and they wouldn't touch it. I then took it down the street to an authorized shop and had the order in within half an hour. It still took 6 weeks.

Body parts are restricted. User serviceable parts are available, but try to get the rear quarter panel. Even the authorized shops have to wait.

I took mine to a body shop and they wouldn't touch it. I then took it down the street to an authorized shop and had the order in within half an hour. It still took 6 weeks.
Interesting, I’ve purchased many bumpers and fenders directly from tesla within the last 36mo. As OTC parts, via the app, as an end user. Which… I assumed by the thread title being ‘rear bumper’ that we were talking about apples to apples, not ‘an airbag/quarter panel/whole side of the car’ vs user replaceable parts.

I manage a "non Tesla certified" body shop and when it comes to bumpers, they're the same as any other car. We just did a bumper replacement on a 3 and currently have another 3 that needs a trunk, hinge and taillight in the shop. Shipping does take a long time and, as far as I know, there's no discount on Tesla parts to shops even, so they're expensive. As a collision shop I can buy any parts except structural and pre painted parts, which I wouldn't want to buy anyway. This does not guarantee a match at all and Tesla doesn't "make" their paint. The blue one we had had 2 variations for that paint code and neither were a dead match. I was able to tint the color and get it 98%.