Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you carry your bike?

If you carry a bike, how do you do it on your Model 3?

• Tesla roof rack

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • SeaSucker

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Some other roof rack system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trailer hitch

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • Inside the car

Votes: 43 43.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always got a kick out of driving with my bike on my last car. Putting the bike on the back tripled the value of the car which always makes bike people smile.

I can fit in my garage with the bike rack extended which is great for getting stuff ready the night before an early ride. I could never remove the seatposts repeatedly to transport it. I'd have to buy a torque wrench to carry around just to make sure I don't shatter a $200 carbon seat post. I'd probably still end up with the stupid thing sliding down into the frame when i'm like 40 miles from my car.

Some of the brands, or the tool suppliers, sell small torque wrenches set for the specific torque you need. I had one that fit in my seat pack or fanny pack easily. It is good to check the seat height regularly as a change can be a problem. On one long ride I felt more strained and tired than usual for that ride and for several days after I had terrible leg soreness that I never get. I went to the bike shop and asked them to check the height (they had my fit on file-now I have it too) and they found the seat fell one lousy inch. With it restored, I did fine.

I find removing the down facing left pedal very quick and makes putting the bike in the back seat much easier. It takes a few seconds with a 15 mm wrench (for the beginners, it has a backward left thread) and should not be put back on with a lot of force. I keep it clean and put light grease on the threads occasionally.

I have a carbon fiber trike so I custom made a carbon fiber rack for it that fits the Ecohitch. The rack weighs only 15 pounds. The photos show it on my Model S (since sold) it also works on my Model 3. The entire bike also fit into the S with the rear seats folded down. If I remove the rear wheel it will also fit into the 3.

I'm very impressed that you made a carbon fiber rack! I thought such special equipment was required that individuals couldn't do it.

The bike is very impressive, too. Excuse my ignorance, but can you switch out the solid wheels for spoked ones if you are going to be in a lot of crosswinds?-Thanks.