Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's people's experience with the M3, towbar bike carriers and bikes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
where are you reading that? I'm looking at what I think is the UK Model 3 manual which seems to say "look at the statutory plate and do the maths...

This is my plate from a 22 model year (but 21 plated) M3 LR:

tesla info plate.jpg

as I read it, the top weight is the "TPMLM - Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass" which I *think* is the maximum weight of the car, passengers, fluids and cargo. The weight isn't listed in the UK online manual but for some reason, the Chinese manual lists the weight of the LR as 1840kgs. Assuming that's true then the max weight of the passengers and cargo is 2232kgs - 1840kgs which is 392kgs..

I think the second weight is car+trailer, which indicates a 1 ton towing capacity, and 1 and 2 are front and back axle max loading? am I reading this right? If I'm wrong then please let me know...

Wikipedia lists UK average weights as 85.4kg for men and 72.1kg for women so 2 average men and 3 average women would equal 387.1kgs. So that would leave 4.9kgs for 5 suitcases, 3 bikes, coats, shopping, boots etc...

also 2 adults at 68kgs each? who are these olympic gymnasts driving teslas?

Reactions: expat
where are you reading that? I'm looking at what I think is the UK Model 3 manual which seems to say "look at the statutory plate and do the maths...

This is my plate from a 22 model year (but 21 plated) M3 LR:

View attachment 985499

as I read it, the top weight is the "TPMLM - Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass" which I *think* is the maximum weight of the car, passengers, fluids and cargo. The weight isn't listed in the UK online manual but for some reason, the Chinese manual lists the weight of the LR as 1840kgs. Assuming that's true then the max weight of the passengers and cargo is 2232kgs - 1840kgs which is 392kgs..

I think the second weight is car+trailer, which indicates a 1 ton towing capacity, and 1 and 2 are front and back axle max loading? am I reading this right? If I'm wrong then please let me know...

Wikipedia lists UK average weights as 85.4kg for men and 72.1kg for women so 2 average men and 3 average women would equal 387.1kgs. So that would leave 4.9kgs for 5 suitcases, 3 bikes, coats, shopping, boots etc...

also 2 adults at 68kgs each? who are these olympic gymnasts driving teslas?

(US online manual ... it does say that you should go by the notice on the individual vehicle and that these are examples.)

From 2020 or 2021 they lowered it. Is that from 2018 or 19 model 3?
My 2021 M3LR COC-document says max weight 2232 kg and empty weight is 1981 kg (with a 75 kg driver, presumably, but not sure if that includes the towbar assembly?). That leaves 251 kg for four passengers and cargo. Not much really.
I seem to remember it was around 300 kg, so I checked my older COC document for the same car and that says empty weight is 1919 kg which would give me 313 kg for passengers and cargo. Anyway, 2232 is the max legal weight without a trailer that at least my model 3 is limited by.

From 2020 or 2021 they lowered it. Is that from 2018 or 19 model 3?
My 2021 M3LR COC-document says max weight 2232 kg and empty weight is 1981 kg (with a 75 kg driver, presumably, but not sure if that includes the towbar assembly?). That leaves 251 kg for four passengers and cargo. Not much really.

Yes, it will depend on the weight of the car and the suspension spec. The SR+ used to have a lighter battery before the LFP came along (and that was a later arrival in the USA). Obviously the LR and Performance were always heavier (extra motor and bigger battery) but they will also vary depending on which particular pack is used. As per the manual, you have to go by the information on your own car's label.

I've got a MY22 model 3 LR which has the factory towbar fitted. I ordered the towbar because I had a 3 bike Thule towbar fitted bike carrier that I previously used with my old discovery 4 years ago before I sold it. However when I got the M3 I found that the nose weight on the towbar was distinctly less on the M3 (55kg) than on the disco (150kg) and it felt a bit wobbly. To be fair, hasn't actually fallen off yet, so over the years I've used it with our three bikes and while I've had one eye on the rear view mirror, it's been fine.

Now I have an eMTB though which weighs 25 kgs on its own. the carrier must weigh more than 15kgs which makes me feel like I can now only carry 1 bike and be within weight tolerance... the missus wants an eMTB too and now I'm wondering whether I can actually carry both, never mind my daughters normal MTB as well

so what's others experience of all this? I've got a little trailer (an erde 142) but that's not fitted for bikes, and if it was then I would worry that it would be top heavy and risk falling over. I don't think it's big enough anyway. I don't want another trailer just for bikes...

Am I over worrying? What are other people doing? or do you all keep an old van or pickup for these duties? :)

PS. overall I've the whole Tesla towbar experience very disappointing. it's bloody expensive, doesn't deploy electrically and makes me lie in the dirt to fit it, the socket points down meaning you risk cables dragging or catching, and the nose weight isn't really suitable for the one thing I bought it for...
I've had 4 bikes on the back of mine my chunky MTB, lighter wife's MTB and 2x kids bikes. It was over, but only a bit. When the youngest moved up to a 26" wheel bike I gave in and got a roof mount for 1x bike. 3 on the back, 1 one top and a roof box really does eat I to range! Only 1 extra stop, but could definitely feel it.

One thing I did find to my detriment, our carrier felt a bit loose too. Turns out the M3 tow ball is slightly small for clamp on carriers, mine has a 'shim' commercially available to bulk out the receiver a little and it now gets a much more solid connection to the car. That's a 2019 car, may not be relevant any more, but worth checking.

You could also look for a lighter bike carrier. If you could get a 2 bike carrier at 10kg, you are only very slightly overweight.

The other trick I use when we are camping is to put heavy things forward of the rear axle, this can make a significant difference to how skyward it points. Or load some heavy stuff in the frunk if you can.

I'm not sure it's really fair to compare the utility value of a disco and the M3. But for my use I do feel like the not-a-hatchback is the only compromise made. It's yet to not do something I've asked of it, including the aforementioned 4bike roofbox camping trip including 4x4ing up a 35 degree land rover track (carefully). Had to rescue a BMW that day too which was exceptionally sweet 😂.

Reactions: expat
095 611 - Atera Strada clamp adjustment shim.

this is shim for my rack, looks like generic equivalents are avaliable via Amazon etc too.

that's interesting about the shim. the link you've given is out of stock so I'll try to keep an eye open.

I think my answer is to use the bike rack for my eMTB and my daughters normal MTB, and then get a tesla roof rack and an INNO2 tyre hold for my wife's eMTB. That roof bike rack can take up to 23kgs so that would cover my wife's bike, and mine without the battery so maybe I'll buy two if I'm feeling flush... and a small step ladder! :)

that's interesting about the shim. the link you've given is out of stock so I'll try to keep an eye open.

I think my answer is to use the bike rack for my eMTB and my daughters normal MTB, and then get a tesla roof rack and an INNO2 tyre hold for my wife's eMTB. That roof bike rack can take up to 23kgs so that would cover my wife's bike, and mine without the battery so maybe I'll buy two if I'm feeling flush... and a small step ladder! :)

Before you go spending money, do a couple of tests to see if you can straight lift the bike in front of you above head height and hold it there for 5-10 seconds.

Reactions: Cloggie
Before you go spending money, do a couple of tests to see if you can straight lift the bike in front of you above head height and hold it there for 5-10 seconds.
it's good advice, but what choice do I have? we will want to explore further afield and that entails moving the bikes with a car.. We're more recreational bikers than hardcore MTB trail riders and I really don't want two expensive bikes falling off on the motorway, bending the chassis mounts and leaving me uninsured...

Hi All

I’m thinking of replacing my VW T5 Sportline for a M3LR but need to transport 5 bikes. I think my only option is to have 3 on the roof and 2 on the tow bar (No e-bikes). Does anyone have any pictures with bikes on the roof and tow bar.

i think the max weight limit will be ok

Tow bar will have 2 bikes both at 14kg plus bike carry at 14.5kg = 42.5kg - well within the 55kg nose limit
Roof bars with have 3 bikes, 2 at 14kg and 1 at 13.5kg = 41.5kg - will within the 65kg limit
Other load, 2 adults and 3 children, 2x80kg + 35kg+40kg+50kg = 285kg

I pulled this information from the Tesla website. Table 2 suggests that I’m with the limits.

1699707932106.png

That's 369 kg in total and you haven't added whatever is in boot.

Depending on which model year that m3lr is you might be over the limit. I think the earlier model 3's have a slightly higher load limit.

If I loaded up mine like that I would be slightly over the limit.

My 2021 car has a stated max total weight of 2232 kg and the empty weight is 1906 kg. So 43 kgs too heavy.

I'm not sure how big a deal it is, but the max total weight would be the legal limit you need to pay attention to.

I'm adding a photo of our car with four bikes. It was when I loaded the car for that trip I realized the cargo capacity isn't that good. I think we we're overloaded by around 30-40kg. The car handled it just fine driving up those steep gravel roads from a Norwegian fjord some 1000 meters below.
20210707_180343.jpg