Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you personalize?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do want to do the tint. But, I've read some horror stories of tinting gone bad, and I'm a perfectionist. So, I'd probably want/need to go to a highly regarded place here in the DC area, and that would be fairly expensive. It would be a trade off between tinting and new wheels, and I haven't decided yet.
Overwrought concern IMO. Any competent shop will guarantee their work, I haven't had a tint go bad since the 80's (one I did myself lol).

I appreciate the point. Nonetheless, there are plenty of posts on these forums of folks who've had these go bad, from bubbles and dust to hurting their rear window defrosters. Maybe before next summer!
Find some shops that have been around for awhile and start looking at Yelp/Google/FB reviews. Tint/ceramic films have come a long way in the past 20 years, not challenging your research but the concerns you're raising will be addressed by a good tint shop using quality film, in the unlikely event they arise.

Reactions: TigerNinety
I like flying under the radar. Even put on the front plate. Coming from 2 luxury BMWs and 2 lux MBs (without front plates)I get a kick out of looking like every other Tesla. Truth be told, it's Tesla minimalistic design that attracted me to the MY to begin with. If you care to futz up your ride with doohickeys to "customize" your Tesla, be my guest. IMO, most customizations detract from Tesla's purity of design.

I changed my car's name to something I like.

Learned a long time ago dumping money into a bunch of mods not only is a quick way to lose a bunch of money.. but also a very easy line to cross where your vehicle looks and/or performs worse than what it did from the factory. I can already tell you that's exactly what's happening with 3/Y's as people are throwing every plastic add-on possible to their vehicle now that everybody has access to Amazon and Aliexpress. Stopped at a random Supercharger in NJ this past weekend.. and I swear of these 3/Y's look like been decorated with the worst accessories you can find at Pep Boys.

FWIW I did get my windows tinted, including the windshield. And that was mainly for privacy concerns, not to look different. With the white interior, I literally had people staring at me while sitting at stoplights or when stopping to charge. Got pretty annoying feeling like I was sitting in a fishbowl.

My car is red so it already sticks out quite a bit. These are a couple pics from this weekend over 600 miles of driving.

52D68E8D-6AFF-48B8-981D-95F6F71E25EA.jpeg

FBF34FC0-7D37-4A21-AAF3-054FAA111313.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ShakataGaNai
I changed my car's name to something I like.

Learned a long time ago dumping money into a bunch of mods not only is a quick way to lose a bunch of money.. but also a very easy line to cross where your vehicle looks and/or performs worse than what it did from the factory. I can already tell you that's exactly what's happening with 3/Y's as people are throwing every plastic add-on possible to their vehicle now that everybody has access to Amazon and Aliexpress. Stopped at a random Supercharger in NJ this past weekend.. and I swear of these 3/Y's look like been decorated with the worst accessories you can find at Pep Boys.

FWIW I did get my windows tinted, including the windshield. And that was mainly for privacy concerns, not to look different. With the white interior, I literally had people staring at me while sitting at stoplights or when stopping to charge. Got pretty annoying feeling like I was sitting in a fishbowl.

My car is red so it already sticks out quite a bit. These are a couple pics from this weekend over 600 miles of driving.

View attachment 857137
View attachment 857138
People def staring cause you drive a red car, not cause of the white interior. The tints are always a good look tho. 😁

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart