Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any way to justify having 2 cars for one person?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless someone is in the 1% there isn't a whole lot of environmental damage one can do by acquiring things like vehicles.

From a cost perspective its much easier to acquire experiences than things. So in that sense experiences can be far more costly for the planet than simply acquiring things.

Owning comes with a lot of burdens that tend to act as self limiters. I have to wash the second car, maintain the second car, pay tabs for the second car, pay insurance, allocate driving time. etc.

Now sure if I had a kid I distribute some of that work onto the kid, but kids are exponential costs to the planet. Only the most optimistic of optimist types would even think about popping out one of those planet killers. :p

I imagine that most car enthusiast have interests that get them killed so in that sense its rate limiting as well. Things like having a bright idea of buying a motorcycle to add to the collection.

some would say, 'can you justify having more bedrooms than people in your house?" of course.
me: S for daily driver, X for family trips, and CT for carrying stuff and being cool.... rest of family has their own cars

I have a 2014 MS 60 with 131k miles. I just dropped it off at the SC this morning for a LDU replacement. I have a 1995 Lexus LS 400 with 150k miles that I've kept for a backup. It's sat for almost 3 years until last week. Charged the battery and it started right up. The Green Lantern will be down until next Thursday they say.....

I'm glad I have 2 cars.

Reactions: dn325ci
But that's different. This thread is about justifying having *TWO* cars.

You should start a different thread if you're trying to justify having *FOUR* cars.
Not trying to justify anything. I don’t have to. Many families have multiple cars and there are ton of folks keep their old car as a backup or beater. Some like having a convertible to tool around in. Some keep a pickup truck around. You asked if there is any way to justify two cars for one person, answer is yes if you have needs or desires, or both. I need to haul an 8’ ladder to get on my boat when hauled in winter. Have to have a second car.

Reactions: father_of_6
Not trying to justify anything. I don’t have to.

Agreed, I was only goofin'. I should've added emoji, but sometimes it's more fun without.

The original post seems rhetorical to me, so I think the entire thread can really be taken in jest.

Alternatively, it's a philosophical discussion. Certainly there are those that think as long as there is poverty in the world, living a lifestyle that's anything beyond survival is morally wrong. Others might have the opposite viewpoint, and most people likely fall somewhere in the middle.

Is there any way to justify having 2 cars for one person?

Yes, of course there's "a way".

One way is... "When I wear blue jeans, I want to drive a blue car, but when I wear a suit, I want to drive a black car... so I need two cars."

Another... "I have a nice car and a Winter beater", or "I drive my Prius most of the time, but I also have a pickup truck for work and towing."

Next question... Can I justify all my time spent on these forums writing silly responses and laughing at my own jokes? Probably not, LOL

I justify my Lightning and Fusion Energi combo pretty easy. At any given time, there's a 25% chance one of them is at the dealership getting recall work done. I guess I only have 1.75 cars by that logic.

I probably could sell the Energi, but having a PHEV backup has come in handy with my travel taking me on routes with limited DCFC infrastructure. 50 mpg after the EV range isn't amazing, but it's way better than anything I'd rent.

I just picked up a new Model S LR one week ago. I’m keeping my 2015 85D, from which I transferred FUSC to the new car. Why am I keeping the 85D? It has over 241,000+ miles on it and Carvanas current offer is $4,000.

What would you do? It still drives like it did the day I bought it, 100% charge is 239 miles vs 270 miles new, and I can continue to transport my muddy mountain bike in it, instead of dirtying up the new car. At some point the battery will go, and if one of my kids wants the car they can have a pretty nice car for the cost of a new battery.

What would you do in my position?

I just picked up a new Model S LR one week ago. I’m keeping my 2015 85D, from which I transferred FUSC to the new car. Why am I keeping the 85D? It has over 241,000+ miles on it and Carvanas current offer is $4,000.

What would you do? It still drives like it did the day I bought it, 100% charge is 239 miles vs 270 miles new, and I can continue to transport my muddy mountain bike in it, instead of dirtying up the new car. At some point the battery will go, and if one of my kids wants the car they can have a pretty nice car for the cost of a new battery.

What would you do in my position?
I would do the same
Asking of the 2015 has its original battery?
If so, battery mgt advice for us newbies?

I would do the same
Asking of the 2015 has its original battery?
If so, battery mgt advice for us newbies?
I’m the original owner and it is the original battery. 8 years, 241,000 miles and I supercharge approximately 40%. I usually charged the car to 90% at home and try to time it such that it finishes charging right before I leave for work. It is my belief now, based on my experience and what I’ve read about the experiences of others, that if you have need to charge to a high rate, it’s best not to then let the car sit at a high rate of charge.

Reactions: Fgpalmer71
I’m the original owner and it is the original battery. 8 years, 241,000 miles and I supercharge approximately 40%. I usually charged the car to 90% at home and try to time it such that it finishes charging right before I leave for work. It is my belief now, based on my experience and what I’ve read about the experiences of others, that if you have need to charge to a high rate, it’s best not to then let the car sit at a high rate of charge.
Your a classic poster child, amazing example of how EVs and especially Teslas are the best and a true path to a sustainable future

there is no excuse to not go pure BEV

crazy the recent push back and hybrid posers
sad as we read the negative climate news daily

Reactions: stevej119
Offcourse you can justify that, if your bank account allows it, and you can take on the knowledge each car costs around 10000liters of oil to produce.

Secondly, and way more important, it is my opinion to better have two Model 3's then one Model S (same price!). That wa

hell I hit enter accidentelly.
That way Model3 #1 can charge at home on the excess sun power, while Model3 #2 is out. Next day, swap to #2 and drive in knowledge you have real green power (at no cost at all).
That would be the ideal situation in Belgium (also the Netherlands), where one gets no money or recuperation for 'grid-injected power'.
Assuming there is enough solar offcourse, and only for 3quarters of the year.

I have my first (secondhand) M3...
I wish I could afford MS, but even if I could, two M3's would be way better, even if only one is used at a time.

Other than that, I do own other cars that have almost none or even negative depreciation! an oldtimer (raising value), a campervan (VW californias are world #1 value retainers) and a classic ICE merc with tesla horsepower (also slowly raising in value). So yes you can (but for the sake of your neighbours take care of private parking).