Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the app work (over 5000 miles from car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding of bluetooth (from research on the web) is that it works over short distance. Yet when I am halfway round the world I can wake my Tesla and see all data. This requires that I have bluetooth enabled - can't figure out how this works - anyone who can explain?

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
So when I'm in Europe if I didn't have wifi or cellular data I wouldn't be able to see anything about status?
I have a standard 3 so I only have wifi in my garage - would the limited lte of this car also give me access if it was without access to wifi - guess so since I can remotely turn on ac when I'm quite a distance from the car?
Just did an experiment and I DON'T have to have bluetooth enabled to use the app from my living room for all the functions I've tried (honk, lock) so it's only unlocking the car that needs bt I guess.
This is making a lot more sense - I figured it had to be internet but the notice to turn on bt threw me. I guess it should have been obvious that wifi was involved when so many got locked out when Tesla's servers went down;) So even though bt works over short distance it still requires verification of the "key" via the servers?

Last edited: