TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does the app work (over 5000 miles from car)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sceptic, Sep 12, 2019.

1. sceptic

sceptic Member

My understanding of bluetooth (from research on the web) is that it works over short distance. Yet when I am halfway round the world I can wake my Tesla and see all data. This requires that I have bluetooth enabled - can't figure out how this works - anyone who can explain?

• Funny x 1
  2. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

Through the internet connection of the car.

Bluetooth is only used for unlocking

3. RB88

RB88 Member

Your car is connected to the internet and your phone app talks to it over the internet (via Tesla’s servers).

Bluetooth is only used at short range for things like unlocking.

4. sceptic

sceptic Member

#4 sceptic, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    So when I'm in Europe if I didn't have wifi or cellular data I wouldn't be able to see anything about status?
    I have a standard 3 so I only have wifi in my garage - would the limited lte of this car also give me access if it was without access to wifi - guess so since I can remotely turn on ac when I'm quite a distance from the car?
    Just did an experiment and I DON'T have to have bluetooth enabled to use the app from my living room for all the functions I've tried (honk, lock) so it's only unlocking the car that needs bt I guess.
    This is making a lot more sense - I figured it had to be internet but the notice to turn on bt threw me. I guess it should have been obvious that wifi was involved when so many got locked out when Tesla's servers went down;) So even though bt works over short distance it still requires verification of the "key" via the servers?

5. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

True. If your phone can't get an Internet connection, it can't reach Tesla or your car. Same story if for some reason the car was where it couldn't get a connection--again, either cellular or Wi-Fi.

6. JasonR67

JasonR67 Member

And to clarify. Bluetooth for passive unlock, and driving.

7. disapr

disapr Member

Authentication...

8. sceptic

sceptic Member

Thanks everyone, I don't know why I was so confused by the notice that I had to turn bt on (and ignored the fact that it said "to use as a key") :oops:

9. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

Also, Bluetooth is used when your phone is your source for music and podcasts and such.